How Does Momentum Affect a Moving Toy Truck When a Brick is Dropped on It?"

In summary, a 1.5 kg brick is dropped onto a 2.5 kg toy truck moving at 0.80 m/s on a level floor. Using the equation m1V1=m2V2, where m1=2.5 kg, V1=0.80 m/s, and m2=4 kg, we can find that the final velocity of the truck and brick together is 0.50 m/s. This is because the vertical force of the brick does not affect the truck's motion.
puregoodboi
a 1.5 kg brick is dropped vertically onto a 2.5 kg toy truck, which is moving across a level floor at 0.80 m/s. With what velocity do the truck and brick continue to movie, after the brick has landed on the truck.

i've dealt with only horizontal movements andd i haven't covered this yet in class sooo ineeed helppp lol would the truck go through the floor if the brick hit it ? lol =S

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i got the answer now its 0.50 m/s lol

m1V1=m2V2
where m1=2.5Kg V1=0.8m/s m2=1.5+2.5=4Kg V2=?
i suppose this is the answer because there is no vertical component of the bricks force acting on the truck...

i got it right then...:)

Related to How Does Momentum Affect a Moving Toy Truck When a Brick is Dropped on It?"

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. It is also a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does momentum relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's Laws of Motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Momentum helps us understand how objects will behave when acted upon by a force. Additionally, the second law states that force is equal to an object's mass multiplied by its acceleration, which can be rewritten as the change in momentum over time.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to an object's rotational motion around an axis. Both types of momentum are conserved quantities and can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity (for linear momentum) or its moment of inertia by its angular velocity (for angular momentum).

5. How can I change an object's momentum?

An object's momentum can be changed by applying a force to it. The greater the force, the greater the change in momentum. Additionally, the direction of the force will determine the direction of the change in momentum. Objects can also change their own momentum through internal forces, such as a rocket propelling itself forward.