How does my brain locate my hand in space?

In summary, people with proprioception problems (due to MS, for example) have trouble telling where their limbs are in space, and may need help from a mechanical device to track their hand.
AcidRainLiTE
If I close my eyes (so as to remove my sense of sight) and spread my fingers so they do not touch (so as to remove sense of feeling) and then move my hand around, I still have a sense of where in space it is located. How is my brain figuring out the location of my hand under these conditions?

Biology news on Phys.org
AcidRainLiTE said:
If I close my eyes (so as to remove my sense of sight) and spread my fingers so they do not touch (so as to remove sense of feeling) and then move my hand around, I still have a sense of where in space it is located. How is my brain figuring out the location of my hand under these conditions?
From the nerve signals sent from the hand. You don't need sight to sense your body.

What are the nerve's being stimulated by?/What information are they transmitting? Are they transmitting information about how tense my various muscles are and then from that information my brain is calculating the orientation and extension of my arm and hence the location of my hand?

Yup, exactly, little mechanosensors in the muscle spindle measure how much your muscles have stretched and report it to the nervous system, increasing frequency of firing with intensity of muscle stretch.

By some feat of neural computation, your parietal lobes use this somatosensory information (along with other information from your different sensory systems, such as your vestibular system, which detects the motion of fluid in your brain and your head's orientation with respect to gravity) to put together a picture of your body's configuration in space. Of course, having seen 3D space with your eyes your whole life and having echo-located on sounds with your ears (assuming you have functioning eyes and ears), there's probably a lot of extra help from an informed imagination.

atyy said:
Yes, proprioception. It is the incredibly important sense that most don't realize they have or need. The few people who have completely lost their sense of proprioception have had their lives devastated. Oliver Sacks tells the story of one woman who lost it in his book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat", in chapter 3, "The Disembodied Lady".

Due to Multiple Sclerosis, my Brother-in-Law has lost the proprioception in his feet. He can't tell where they are except by looking at them. He has to walk staring at his feet.

I wonder whether it is possible to read the signals from these nerves (by placing a electrode or something on your arm) and interpret them so as to be able to track your hand.

AcidRainLiTE said:
I wonder whether it is possible to read the signals from these nerves (by placing a electrode or something on your arm) and interpret them so as to be able to track your hand.
Do you mean for people who have dysfunctional proprioception? A less complicated and risky method could be to devise mechanical devices worn on the knees, elbows, shoulders and hips that apply pressure to different areas of the limb on the basis of how extended the joint is. Overtime perhaps patients will adapt to this; I've read a Sacks case wherein the patient could no longer balance. They improvised a small spirit level attached to his glasses so that he could tell if he was standing straight. After a lot of practice he could walk again and the action became automatic.

1. How does the brain know where my hand is in space?

The brain has a network of specialized cells called sensory neurons that send information from the hand to the brain. These neurons have receptors that respond to different stimuli, such as touch, temperature, and pressure. This information is then processed by the brain to determine the exact location of the hand in space.

2. Does the brain use any specific cues to locate the hand?

Yes, the brain uses a combination of visual, proprioceptive, and tactile cues to locate the hand in space. Visual cues come from what we see, such as the position of our hand in relation to other objects. Proprioceptive cues come from the body's internal sensors that provide information about the position and movement of our limbs. Tactile cues come from the touch receptors in our skin that respond to pressure and texture.

3. Can the brain's ability to locate the hand in space be affected by injury or disease?

Yes, injury or disease can affect the brain's ability to locate the hand in space. For example, damage to the sensory neurons or brain regions responsible for processing sensory information can result in difficulties with spatial perception. Additionally, conditions such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson's disease can also affect the brain's ability to locate the hand in space.

4. How does the brain maintain the ability to locate the hand in space over time?

The brain maintains the ability to locate the hand in space through a process called neuroplasticity. This is the brain's ability to reorganize and form new neural connections in response to changes in the environment or experiences. With repeated use and practice, the brain can strengthen and refine the neural pathways involved in locating the hand in space, allowing for improved accuracy and efficiency.

5. Can the brain's ability to locate the hand in space be improved?

Yes, the brain's ability to locate the hand in space can be improved through various activities and exercises that challenge and stimulate the sensory neurons and brain regions involved. These can include tasks that require precise hand-eye coordination, proprioception exercises, and sensory integration activities. Regular practice and repetition can help to strengthen and improve the brain's ability to locate the hand in space.