Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does one descibe a co-orbiting system?

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    Hi, Is there a generally accepted description of the objects that make up a co-orbiting system? For example, I understand that two starts orbiting around a common centre of gravity would be considered co-orbiting, but given that the sun and planets ordit the "wobble" point / common centre of gravity, would the solar system also be considered co-orbiting? Would the Milkyway (the blackhole at the centre and the stars that ordit it (both close in, speeding around the blackhole, and further out like the sun) be considered a co-orbiting system?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Noel.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2
    I think co-orbiting means the two bodies actually shares the same orbit. For example Jupiter and the trojan satellites.

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    Oh. Thanks Jobiqoud. I understand.

So, I suppose that my first question is actually "what do you call that type of system, where two or more objects orbit a common center of gravity?" Incase my description isn't to clear, I'm trying to describe the orbit of an exo-solar planet causing the wobble of its star (I appreciate that actual searches are based on redshift of light, I'm just using the star / exoplanet as an example of a system that I am trying to describe).

Regards,

Noel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook