How does pool chlorine/filter do its thing?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, pool chlorine and filters work together to keep pools clean and safe for swimming. Chlorine acts as a disinfectant, killing harmful bacteria and preventing algae growth. It also helps to balance the pH levels of the pool water. Filters physically trap debris and particles, preventing them from clouding the water or clogging the system. Together, chlorine and filters ensure that pool water is properly sanitized and clear for a enjoyable swimming experience.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
< preamble >
Not sure if this belongs in physics, chemistry or engineering.

I feel sort of silly, because I should know this. I'll probably do a face-palm when I get the answer.
< /preamble >

My pool has gotten cloudy so I've thrown some chlorine in. This killed the bacteria allowing the filter to remove it, and my pool is now clear.

I know what the chlorine does; it causes the bacteria's cells to rupture, killing them.

My question: What is it about exploded bacteria bits that allows the sand filter to sweep them up?

My first hypothesis: The filter is actually not involved. Suspended bacteria are significant in size enough to cause cloudy water. Contrarily, dead bacteria dissolve into their comiponent parts (various gases, ions, salts) which, being much simpler molecules or even atoms, go into solution. As solutions, they are transparent. i.e. the components of the bacteria are still there (though now harmless), but they no longer affect the clarity of the water.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the filter charge consist of diatomaceous Earth rather than sand?

Phrak said:
Doesn't the filter charge consist of diatomaceous Earth rather than sand?
Some are, some are not. http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/filters/Pro_Series_Top_Mount.cfm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was more that if they are alive and multiplying, the filter can't keep up with the growth. If you kill them, then the filter just needs to handle the dead bodies and not all the growth.

Usually it's algae that grows in pools and makes them visibly cloudy. If it were bacteria, that would be quite the toxic area if it was cloudy. :bugeye:

DaveC426913 said:
Some are, some are not. http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/filters/Pro_Series_Top_Mount.cfm" .

You've got me wondering what sort or shapes the grains should be to best perform filtering. Both high porosity and places for debrit to cling or bond would seem to be important. Which would be best; sharp edged sand, or rounded? I think that diatoms would be very sharp. Or maybe it makes little difference.

A magnifying glass could answer what kind you are using. There should be magnified pictures of sand on the net.

...So I pulled up a few.

http://www.icbm.de/pmbio/mikrobiologischer-garten/pics/for02.jpg

2413921220_20b451a90d.jpg

Sand-lg.jpg

20081026233101_172.jpg

Beautiful in magnification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phrak said:
You've got me wondering what sort or shapes the grains should be to best perform filtering. Both high porosity and places for debrit to cling or bond would seem to be important. Which would be best; sharp edged sand, or rounded? I think that diatoms would be very sharp. Or maybe it makes little difference.

I read just yesterday that, after ten years or so, "the edges have been worn off" the sand, so it should be replaced.

I also found out that sand and diatomaceous Earth are not interchangeable in a filter.

1. How does pool chlorine work?

Pool chlorine works by releasing a chemical called hypochlorous acid, which is a powerful disinfectant. This acid kills bacteria and other microorganisms in the water, keeping it clean and safe for swimming.

2. What does a pool filter do?

A pool filter removes impurities and debris from the water, such as dirt, leaves, and small organisms. It works by passing the water through a porous material that traps these particles, allowing clean water to return to the pool.

3. How does chlorine interact with the pool filter?

Chlorine and the pool filter work together to keep the pool clean. The chlorine kills bacteria and other microorganisms, while the filter removes larger debris. The filter also helps to circulate the chlorine evenly throughout the pool.

4. Does the type of pool filter affect the effectiveness of chlorine?

Yes, the type of pool filter can affect how well the chlorine works. A high-quality filter with a large surface area will be more effective at removing debris and keeping the water clean, allowing the chlorine to work more efficiently.

5. How often should I add chlorine and clean the pool filter?

The frequency of adding chlorine and cleaning the pool filter will depend on factors such as pool usage, weather conditions, and the type of filter. Generally, it is recommended to add chlorine daily and clean the filter every 1-2 weeks to maintain a clean and safe swimming environment.