How does Prokon calculate imperfection moments in slender columns?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dccd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Columns Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
dccd
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement:: Anyone familiar with prokon column design ? I have no idea how the program caluculate the imperfection moment in the slender column (braced/unbraced...
Relevant Equations:: I have attached an example here , it's an unbraced slender column here. Why the imperfection moment about y-axis and y-axis arent the same ? X axis imperfection moment = 0.85kNm, while the y-axis imperfection moment is 4.41kNm,

[Mentor Note -- thread moved from the schoolwork forums to ME since it is a general question]

I think it's wrong, imperfection moment should be the same for both axis , at intermediate height, top , bottom of column, correct me if I am wrong. ...

https://we.tl/t-Fw9Tvf8fhL
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dccd said:
Homework Statement:: Anyone familiar with prokon column design ? I have no idea how the program caluculate the imperfection moment in the slender column (braced/unbraced...
Relevant Equations:: I have attached an example here , it's an unbraced slender column here. Why the imperfection moment about y-axis and y-axis arent the same ? X axis imperfection moment = 0.85kNm, while the y-axis imperfection moment is 4.41kNm,

I think it's wrong, imperfection moment should be the same for both axis , at intermediate height, top , bottom of column, correct me if I am wrong. ...

https://we.tl/t-Fw9Tvf8fhL
Can you just attach a PDF of that file? (Click "Attach files" below the Edit window) I'm getting strange notifications when I try to click on that link. Thanks.
 
berkeman said:
Can you just attach a PDF of that file? (Click "Attach files" below the Edit window) I'm getting strange notifications when I try to click on that link. Thanks.

Here you go ..The uploading speed was extremely slow when I was trying to upload the file.
 
Attachments
dccd said:
X axis imperfection moment = 0.85kNm, while the y-axis imperfection moment is 4.41kNm,
Because the column is rectangular, the slenderness is asymmetric, and so the imperfection moment is asymmetric.
 
Baluncore said:
Because the column is rectangular, the slenderness is asymmetric, and so the imperfection moment is asymmetric.
Do you know how to get the exact value
?
 
dccd said:
Do you know how to get the exact value ?
The Prokon design software must reference the standards and design rules it follows.
You should look for the design references on which the Prokon software is based.