How does Ram pressure kill galaxies

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ram pressure and its effect on star formation in galaxies. Ram pressure is a force experienced by galaxies in clusters as they move through the intracluster medium, which can strip them of their interstellar gas. The conversation also mentions a paper on ram pressure stripping as a cause of galaxy extinction.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
BvU said:
You did google ?
From the article:
Galaxies in clusters experience ram pressure as they move through the intracluster medium; it is capable of stripping the galaxy of much of its interstellar gas.[3]
So why are there not( lots) of galaxies showing the same effect of ram pressure?

You googled :smile:. New question: why not all over the place ? Dunno. The galaxy has to move through the cluster center (the ICM lemma gives no size range).
Glad I joined the thread: now I get notified if an answer on that pops up. @Andy Resnick ?

But I'm sorry we're now no longer on the 'Unread' listing

Thank you for the replies, but now i am more mystified:eek:

Likes BvU

1. What is Ram Pressure?

Ram pressure is a force exerted on a galaxy as it moves through a dense region of gas within a galaxy cluster. This force is caused by the high-speed motion of the galaxy through the gas, resulting in the gas exerting pressure on the galaxy.

2. How does Ram Pressure affect galaxies?

Ram pressure can strip gas and dust from a galaxy's outer edges, causing it to lose its ability to form new stars and eventually die. This process is known as ram pressure stripping.

3. Can Ram Pressure kill all types of galaxies?

Yes, ram pressure can affect all types of galaxies. However, it is most commonly observed in spiral galaxies with active star formation, as they have a significant amount of gas and dust that can be stripped away.

4. How does Ram Pressure compare to other factors that can kill galaxies?

Ram pressure is one of the main mechanisms that can kill galaxies, along with mergers with other galaxies and interactions with supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies. The impact of each factor depends on the specific properties of the galaxy and its environment.

5. Can Ram Pressure be observed in real-time?

Yes, ram pressure stripping can be observed in real-time through telescopes that are able to detect the gas and dust being stripped from galaxies. This can provide valuable insights into the process and its effects on galaxies in different environments.