How Does Recurrent Hospitalization Affect Long-Term Health and Quality of Life?

  • Thread starter Thread starter davenn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
27 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
9,747
Reaction score
11,967
3days into yet another hospitalisation with the ongoing chest pain, breathing and fluid retention hassles. It has been getting progressively worse since the major heart surgery of sept 2012 when i got a viral infection that gave me constri tive pericarditis.

Just so sick of being sick and just want to enjoy a normal pife again

Greg B its the main reason I haven't started an insights blog as you have encouraged me to do ... I just haven't been well enough of late to be able to put a serious effort into .. hopefully in the near future

Dave
 
Biology news on Phys.org
davenn said:
3days into yet another hospitalisation with the ongoing chest pain, breathing and fluid retention hassles. It has been getting progressively worse since the major heart surgery of sept 2012 when i got a viral infection that gave me constri tive pericarditis.

Just so sick of being sick and just want to enjoy a normal pife again

Greg B its the main reason I haven't started an insights blog as you have encouraged me to do ... I just haven't been well enough of late to be able to put a serious effort into .. hopefully in the near future

Dave
I am so very sad to hear this. I hope that there is some hope of feeling better. You will be in my thoughts.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
davenn said:
3days into yet another hospitalisation with the ongoing chest pain, breathing and fluid retention hassles. It has been getting progressively worse since the major heart surgery of sept 2012 when i got a viral infection that gave me constri tive pericarditis.

Just so sick of being sick and just want to enjoy a normal pife again

Greg B its the main reason I haven't started an insights blog as you have encouraged me to do ... I just haven't been well enough of late to be able to put a serious effort into .. hopefully in the near future

Dave

Yikes, that sounds awful.

Hope you feel better soon. Thanks for reminding the rest of us not to take our health for granted.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Thanks Evo just awaiting in que for an angiogram this morning :)
 
Thanks Mike and Zz

I appreciate my PF family :)
 
Last edited:
davenn said:
I appreciate my PF family :)
We're here for you Dave. Hope you'll be feeling better some.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I also hate hospitals, so you have my complete sympathy.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
I pretty much echo what has already said -- and to a speedy recovery indeed!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
davenn said:
Thanks Evo just awaiting in que for an angiogram this morning :)
Hospitals can kill you. The last few hospitals stays I had, I saved up to pay for a private room. After one operation, they placed a terminal elderly patient in my room in error and she would be screaming all night and/or the alarm would go off every 10 minutes. The nurse was furious, a patient like that should have never been placed in a room with someone recovering from major surgery. I had to ask to be discharged early.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Evo said:
Hospitals can kill you. The last few hospitals stays I had, I saved up to pay for a private room. After one operation, they placed a terminal elderly patient in my room in error and she would be screaming all night and/or the alarm would go off every 10 minutes. The nurse was furious, a patient like that should have never been placed in a room with someone recovering from major surgery. I had to ask to be discharged early.
Yeah, hospitals are notorious for doing bad things to people (along w/ all the good things they also do). If they were anything like normal companies, their quality control managers would all be taken out behind the barn and shot.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
+1 on all good things said so far! And on all things that will be said in the future :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Best wishes for getting back to normal health Dave.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
well the angiogram went well, but with a good news and a bad news

good news ... my heart and arteries / veins look great and the heart appears to be pumping ok

that is also the bad news as they have absolutely no idea what is causing all the ongoing and steadily worsening problems
with chest pain, breathing problems and fluid retention :frown:

As odd as it sounds, I wanted them to find a problem so that they has something to work on to get me well
instead, I am back to square 1 and I get discharged tomorrow ( Saturday) just as ill as I was when I was admitted
several days ago :frown:

I just don't believe it ! am so upset and distressed
I am just so over it


Thanks for all your kind wishes, please keep me in your thoughts ... you are all an awesome bunch of people :smile:

Dave
 
I can completely understand the frustration, I've had some long running health problems that no doctor could find a diagnosis for. It's terrible, you just wish someone would find something, even something bad, so at least you'd have a target to treat. Hang in there though, see enough doctors and let them do enough tests and they'll find it out :) It's very unlikely you have something completely new and never before discovered.

Best of luck! Hope you get a good diagnosis and treatment very soon.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Ryan_m_b said:
Hang in there though, see enough doctors and let them do enough tests and they'll find it out :)
Ditto
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Hope you get back to your normal life very soon:)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
davenn said:
well the angiogram went well, but with a good news and a bad news

good news ... my heart and arteries / veins look great and the heart appears to be pumping ok

that is also the bad news as they have absolutely no idea what is causing all the ongoing and steadily worsening problems
with chest pain, breathing problems and fluid retention :frown:

As odd as it sounds, I wanted them to find a problem so that they has something to work on to get me well
instead, I am back to square 1 and I get discharged tomorrow ( Saturday) just as ill as I was when I was admitted
several days ago :frown:

I just don't believe it ! am so upset and distressed
I am just so over itThanks for all your kind wishes, please keep me in your thoughts ... you are all an awesome bunch of people :smile:

Dave
I hope you heal quickly, and I hope there is some diagnosis of the problem.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
{{hugs}} I'm sorry to hear you're sick! I hope the docs figure out what's going on - you're in my thoughts.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Thanks Lisab :smile:

now home ... that a much better place :smile:
next specialist visit beginning of July
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ryan_m_b
Good luck sir!
I had a major heart attack 10 years ago with 5 bypasses. It has completely changed my habits. I go to the gym 5 days a week and do light weights and moderate cardio. At 62 years old, my last check up was beyond compare. I lost 40 pounds and my PB last week was 110/63. At the time of my HA it was 190/95.
Please try to get exercise when you feel better if you don't normally incorporate it in your lifestyle. I eat only low fat protein, fruit and veggies, organic when possible.
 
davenn said:
Thanks Lisab :smile:

now home ... that a much better place :smile:
next specialist visit beginning of July
So glad that you are home, we need you here, I always look forward to your great, informative posts! To many more years here at PF! (and feeling good) :oldsmile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and dlgoff
awwww
Thanks Evo :smile:

graybass said:
I had a major heart attack 10 years ago with 5 bypasses.

hey greybass

WOW that's a tough one
Shared the room with ( over several days) 2 guys triple bypasses, 1 guy with quadruple bypass and 1 guy with a pacemaker install
graybass said:
Please try to get exercise when you feel better

I cannot even shower and towel myself off without spending the next 10 mins gasping for breath
The specialist said it's just going to take time to figure out what is causing the problems

cheers
Dave
 
I don't remember exact number, but my Dad went through two heart surgeries - there was something wrong about the first set of bypasses and they all closed, so he was given another set. 8 or 9 in total :))
 
davenn said:
I cannot even shower and towel myself off without spending the next 10 mins gasping for breath
That is terrible. I hope with all my heart that you get free from this undiagnosed disease for good and are able to breathe as freely and painlessly as a human possibly can :)
 
Borek said:
I don't remember exact number, but my Dad went through two heart surgeries - there was something wrong about the first set of bypasses and they all closed, so he was given another set. 8 or 9 in total :))

far out! that's pretty rough. One of my room mates was in for a second time ... also with stents that had closed up and had to be redone

PWiz said:
That is terrible. I hope with all my heart that you get free from this undiagnosed disease for good and are able to breathe as freely and painlessly as a human possibly can :)

Thanks lots PWiz
appreciate your thoughts :smile:

D