How does temperature affect the mass of the axion particle?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter memento829
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Temperature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
memento829
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Axion mass is said to depend on temperature. I don't understand this. Can somebody explain how the mass of an elementary particle depend on temperature at all? Temperature is the average kinetic energy of particles. So what does it have anything to do with the mass of an elementary particle?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that there is considerable confusion over "mass". As far as I understand it, mass only refers to the rest mass of something usually. Trying to add in different types of mass such as relativistic mass is confusing and does nothing to help anything. As far as I am concerned the temp of an object has nothing to do with the mass. (However I am not sure on this, as I said there is much confusion and misunderstanding.)
 
Temperature is an average of quantum states. A laser pointer beam has a temperature of over 1000K for a tiny fraction of a second. Energy and mass are the same so higher temperature means higher energy and higher mass equivalence.