Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical How does the body know how much to sleep?

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    My question is suppose we go to sleep without setting an alarm and intending to get up only when we wake up. How does the body know that it needs X hours of sleep at night. Is our subconsciousness monitoring our stress levels and when it has determined that our stress level is sufficiently low or it has crossed a sufficient threshold, do we wake up or is something else going on. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2
    I would think it difficult to eliminate all outside factors, including basic body functions, in order to test.

4. Sep 3, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Well, take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

5. Sep 3, 2012 #4
    I watched an interesting show on this subject a few years back. It followed a number of 'cavers'--scientists and geologists who would spend weeks underground exploring and mapping miles-long cave systems. They obviously had no conventional cycles of light and dark to influence waking and sleep patterns, and just allowed their bodies to determine the proper amount of sleep as needed. It turned out that, after a number of days, their internal 'day' and 'night' periods became progressively longer, so that they were eventually living on something like a 25 or 26 hour cycle. I don't know how that correlates to anything evolutionary, since it's my understanding that days were actually shorter in the past than they are now. Still, it's an interesting observation.

6. Sep 3, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Yeah, I remember reading something similar to that where they put people in rooms with no way to tell time at all. The people ended up lengthening their day gradually.

7. Sep 4, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

I'd heard that results like this are bunk, even though they are widely reported, and are the result of faulty experimental conditions. I'll see if I can find more about that.

As for the day length over time there has been no significant change in the history of our species.

8. Sep 6, 2012 #7
    A bit off-topic regarding sleep, but shows an effect when time is uncertain.

9. Sep 6, 2012 #8

Drakkith

I'm sorry, what? I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook