How does the determinant of the metric transform

In summary, the metric determinant in special relativity is invariant under Lorentz transformations. However, when considering a more general transformation where the condition of the Lorentz group may not be satisfied, the metric determinant does transform. It is not a scalar, but a scalar density of weight ±2, and can be expressed in terms of permutation symbols and the metric.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

In special relativity the metric is invariant under lorentz transformations and therefore so is the determinant of the metric. How does the metric determinant transform under a more general transformation $$x^{a\prime}=J^{a\prime}_{\quad a}x^{a}$$ where $$J^{a\prime}_{\quad a}$$ may not satisfy the conditions of the lorentz group.

Homework Equations

$$x^{a\prime}=J^{a\prime}_{\quad a}x^{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I need to show how the determinant transforms, but in general I thought that the determinant was a scalar and thus did not transform, clearly this isn't correct so my next thought was to perform the above transformation on the metric as follows:
$$\eta_{a^{\prime}b^{\prime}}=J_{a\prime}^{\quad a}J_{b\prime}^{\quad b}\eta_{ab}$$
Then take the determinant of the result. But this doesn't appear to get me anywhere and doesn't make use of the fact that J is in general not a lorentz transform, any guidance as to where I should go next or whether I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely would be much appreciated :)

Likes Douglas Sunday
Physics news on Phys.org
Milsomonk said:
but in general I thought that the determinant was a scalar and thus did not transform
The metric determinant is not a scalar, but a scalar density of weight ##\pm 2## (with sign depending on weight convention). You should be able to show this by expressing the metric determinant in terms of the permutation symbols and the metric. (Note that the permutation symbols are tensor densities.)

Aha I'll give that a go, thanks very much :)

1. What is the determinant of a metric?

The determinant of a metric is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the volume or scale of a coordinate system. It represents the change in volume or scale when transforming from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is the determinant of a metric important?

The determinant of a metric is important because it provides information about the geometry and curvature of a space. It is used in various mathematical and physical theories, including general relativity, to describe the properties of space and time.

3. How does the determinant of a metric transform under coordinate transformations?

The determinant of a metric transforms according to the determinant rule, which states that the determinant of the transformed metric is equal to the determinant of the original metric multiplied by the determinant of the transformation matrix raised to the power of the dimension of the space.

4. What is the significance of the determinant of the metric in general relativity?

In general relativity, the determinant of the metric is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is responsible for the gravitational effects observed in the universe. It is also used in the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

5. Can the determinant of the metric be negative?

Yes, the determinant of the metric can be negative. This indicates that the coordinate transformation from one system to another involves a change in orientation. In physics, this can represent a change in the direction of time or a reflection of space.