How does the Satellite manage to stay in earth's orbit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
yalgaar
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I have read that an object needs to have a velocity of around 8km/s to not fall back on Earth and to stay on orbit.

Based on the above, are all our human made sattelites constantly traveling at around 8km/s to not fall back on earth? Is so doen't it need a lot of fuel? Does it store all this fuel? I think I am missing something basic here.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It doesn't take any fuel to keep moving - there is nothing to stop it.
 
Last edited:
At 8km/s, if you fly through the atmosphere, probably your craft will burn
 
yalgaar said:
I have read that an object needs to have a velocity of around 8km/s to not fall back on Earth and to stay on orbit.

Based on the above, are all our human made sattelites constantly traveling at around 8km/s to not fall back on earth? Is so doen't it need a lot of fuel? Does it store all this fuel? I think I am missing something basic here.

Newton's First Law: an object in motion will tend to stay in motion. There is no air - and therefore no air resistance - in space. Once you get the craft up to speed, it will continue on its merry way forever until it encounters something to stop or slow it (such as faint whiffs of atmosphere in low orbit.)
 
pixel01 said:
At 8km/s, if you fly through the atmosphere, probably your craft will burn
This is not relevant.