How does the Satellite manage to stay in earth's orbit?

In summary: So, in summary, an object in space needs a velocity of around 8km/s to maintain its orbit and not fall back to Earth. This velocity does not require constant fuel as there is no air resistance in space. However, if the object encounters faint traces of atmosphere, it may need to adjust its velocity to avoid burning up.
yalgaar
I have read that an object needs to have a velocity of around 8km/s to not fall back on Earth and to stay on orbit.

Based on the above, are all our human made sattelites constantly traveling at around 8km/s to not fall back on earth? Is so doen't it need a lot of fuel? Does it store all this fuel? I think I am missing something basic here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It doesn't take any fuel to keep moving - there is nothing to stop it.

Last edited:
At 8km/s, if you fly through the atmosphere, probably your craft will burn

yalgaar said:
I have read that an object needs to have a velocity of around 8km/s to not fall back on Earth and to stay on orbit.

Based on the above, are all our human made sattelites constantly traveling at around 8km/s to not fall back on earth? Is so doen't it need a lot of fuel? Does it store all this fuel? I think I am missing something basic here.

Newton's First Law: an object in motion will tend to stay in motion. There is no air - and therefore no air resistance - in space. Once you get the craft up to speed, it will continue on its merry way forever until it encounters something to stop or slow it (such as faint whiffs of atmosphere in low orbit.)

pixel01 said:
At 8km/s, if you fly through the atmosphere, probably your craft will burn
This is not relevant.

1. How does the satellite manage to stay in earth's orbit?

The satellite stays in earth's orbit due to its high speed and the force of gravity. The satellite's velocity is fast enough to balance out the pull of gravity, keeping it in a stable orbit around the earth.

2. What is the role of centripetal force in keeping the satellite in orbit?

The centripetal force acts as a centripetal acceleration, pulling the satellite towards the center of the earth while it is moving forward at a constant speed. This force is essential in maintaining the satellite's orbit around the earth.

3. How is the satellite's orbit affected by the earth's shape?

The shape of the earth does not significantly affect the satellite's orbit. The force of gravity acts towards the center of mass of the earth, which is relatively close to its spherical shape. Therefore, the satellite can maintain a stable orbit around the earth regardless of its shape.

4. What factors determine the height of a satellite's orbit?

The height of a satellite's orbit is determined by its speed, the mass of the earth, and the altitude at which it is placed. A higher altitude would require a higher speed to maintain a stable orbit, while a lower altitude would require a lower speed.

5. Can a satellite fall out of orbit?

Yes, a satellite can fall out of orbit due to various factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, or malfunctions in its propulsion system. However, most satellites are equipped with thrusters to adjust their orbit and prevent them from falling out of orbit.