How does the sun shade on this space helmet fit into the helmet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stevelovell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
stevelovell
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Okay, I realize I'm a bit stupid, but how does the sun shade on this photo fit into the helmet? I mean, it OBVIOUSLY does, but when rotating the shade shape around the knob that deploys it, it doesn't appear to fit in the back of the helmet.
Even though they're curved, it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Cheers.

Side view: http://flic.kr/p/9ajwWP
Front view: http://flic.kr/p/9anKU5
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just an illusion of perspective, trying to project a 3d object in 2d when it isn't oriented perpendicular to you - the front is rotated toward you, making it appear bigger than the back.