Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does this work? Pics included.

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Projecting an image of the keyboard? Probably a laser and a diffractive element
    Then a camera detecting if anything (ie a finger) is blocking a particular key

4. Dec 25, 2009 #3
    Not so simple though, because when you press a key on the top of the keyboard, your hand blocks a major section of all the keys below. So it has to distinguish which key is actually being pressed.

From a consumer standpoint, a very stupid product because now I no longer have a tactile feel of a key being pressed, nor do I have the indents as a reference (on the F and J keys) for my fingers so I can type without looking. Nor do I want yet another device with more cables and a power outlet.

5. Dec 26, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I agree -- probably terrible typing ergonomics. You probably have to keep your fingertips at least some distance above the table image, so that the tap is more evident to the reader. When I'm blazing at typing, my fingertips are generally off the keyboard, but as I slow down to think, my fingertips naturally come to rest, and as Cyrus says, re-confirm the home row position. Yuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook