How Effective Are Smoking Bans in Your Country?

  • Thread starter Thread starter radou
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 6K views
radou said:
Well, as the title suggests, I'm interested if the ban of smoking rigorously arises in any form in your country, wherever you're from.

Here in France, last month a law was passed which strictly forbids smoking in confined places open to the public (like shops), and at (even private) work places (that is, you can sue your boss if he doesn't forbid co-workers to smoke and fails to enforce that). Bars and restaurants got a delay of 1 year, so it is still allowed to smoke there if it is in a specific place, with ventilation and all that in such a way that it doesn't hinder non-smokers (this was already in place since a few years). Next year, smoking will be totally banned from bars and restaurants too.

You're essentially allowed to smoke on the street, and in your own home or car. That's about it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
Some might argue that, like patronizing a bar, working in a bar is a choice, but I don't think things are so simple.
In the US (and I suspect in Canada as well), there are specific health regulations that employers must follow. These regulations arose during the sweat-shop era of the early industrial age, but the same logic still applies.

Choice is not a factor because supply and demand alone will not create a healthy working environment.

I'd be curious about the actual air quality in a crowded, smoky bar - I'd be surprised if they actually met the health/building codes.
 
radou said:
Which is too expensive, and actually incorporates itself into things that essentially have nothing to do with smoking! I mean, why would and architect, when 'planning' a building, have to think about smokers and their stupid little rooms/areas? :rolleyes:
There are all sorts of things an architect has to take into account when designing a building. There are specific regulations on the number, size, and location of bathrooms, for example - this could be something that would go next to the bathrooms in every building.

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, but it certainly wouldn't be a big deal.
 
russ_watters said:
There are all sorts of things an architect has to take into account when designing a building. There are specific regulations on the number, size, and location of bathrooms, for example - this could be something that would go next to the bathrooms in every building.

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, but it certainly wouldn't be a big deal.

I know, I get your point, but the fact is that number, size and location of bathrooms, for example, are normal and necessary things, unlike the ones related to smoking.

Perhaps I didn't give a good example, but my point is that the issue about 'rights' (as mentioned in a post before, I think Kurdt's) has to stop somewhere when talking about smoking. If someone wants to smoke, he can do that in his home or on the street, I think that's fair enough.

Also, in my previous posts I forgot to mention another benefit of rigorous smoking bans: the number of smokers will definitely be reduced, I'm sure about that.
 
Last edited: