Should smoking in all the public places (indoors and outdoors) be banned?

• News
  • Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
In summary: BBQing. Driving should be allowed, but with the same restrictions as smoking. It's not like people are going to get behind the wheel if they can't smoke.In summary, I think that smoking in all the public places, including streets, parks and even rivers, should be banned. This would protect those who smoke and those who don't smoke from the negative effects of smoking. Banning smoking in outdoor public places is more problematic, but who pays for enforcement, and how is the enforcement implemented? I would have no issue with smoking being banned in all public places -- indoor and outdoor. Reduce the number of cigarette butts being tossed onto public property and reduce the amount of second-hand smoke nearby people are exposed to
Cinitiator
In your opinion, should smoking in all the public places, including streets, parks and even rivers be banned? In my opinion, it should. Not only have smoking bans been proven to be highly effective in reducing the overall mortality rate and the incidence of various diseases (Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/29/smoking-bans-heart-attacks-strokes/1664193/), but they could also potentially prevent second-hand smoking, which causes close to 50,000 deaths per year (Source: http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-23/us/new.york.smoking.ban_1_smoking-on-public-beaches-smoking-ban-secondhand-smoke?_s=PM:US [Broken]).

Not only do I think that those who smoke should be protected from the negative effects of smoking, but I also think that those who don't smoke and yet are forced to suffer from the consequences of the second-hand smoking should be protected as well. I don't want to suffer an increased risk of various cancers, respiratory disease and heart disease because some people are far too selfish and individualistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
imo - no
The dilution factor of the smoke in 'fresh' air makes it undetectable.
No source for that other than years of experience with trace ( ppm ) gas detectors.

My car and BBQ also "smoke". Should grilling in public places as well as driving be forbidden as well?

As someone who does smoke from time to time I have no problem with a smoking ban indoors for the reasons you list. However I don't see why smoking outdoors should be banned, how would not smoking in a park or on the street help anyone to any significant degree?

I would have no issue with smoking being banned in all public places -- indoor and outdoor. Reduce the number of cigarette butts being tossed onto public property and reduce the amount of second-hand smoke nearby people are exposed to (however minute the quantity may already be).

I haven't personally had any problem with cigarette smoke, even when putting in 3-4 hours each weekend day in smoky taverns playing music and hosting open-mic jams. It was the perfumes that brought that nice extra job to a screeching halt. Get ~$135 per afternoon hosting open-mic jams? That is fun stuff, and especially nice since it's something that I lived for.

One of the regular propane truck drivers keeps telling my wife that he really appreciated me teaching him how to use barre chords to free him up from the root-chord position. That (barre chords) is an epiphany for a novice guitarist. I could still be pulling down those gigs, if not for the perfumes. Ironically, the heaviest smokers were the most likely to use strong, fruity, or floral perfumes.

A fragrance-ban might have saved my weekend gigs, but tobacco was secondary. When I was in engineering school, I practically lived on caffeine and nicotine. I eventually smartened up and got more pro-active about my health.

Upshot: I think it was a good thing for the state to ban smoking in enclosed public spaces, especially since children can be exposed in restaurants, taverns, and diners. Banning smoking in outdoor public places is more problematic. Who pays for enforcement, and how is the enforcement implemented? Would the taxpayers have to bear the cost of putting swarms of cops on the streets, handing out tickets to anyone who is caught smoking in a park?

EricVT said:
I would have no issue with smoking being banned in all public places -- indoor and outdoor. Reduce the number of cigarette butts being tossed onto public property and reduce the amount of second-hand smoke nearby people are exposed to (however minute the quantity may already be).
I understand the point about butts but I don't see why that needs a ban more than harsher penalties for littering (and some enforcement) along with more bins with stub plates around. There's more gum all over the street than butts but we don't ban that.

As for second hand smoke as has been pointed out there are far more noxious fumes in public places than smoking. Having a cigarette on the pavement isn't just minute it's negligible. Honestly how much second hand smoke does the average person breathe in when walking outdoors? Nothing that will ever cause harm I'd wager.

I'm all for regulation when a group is doing something that leads to harm to others but when the harm is negligible to non-existent I don't think it's morally right to try and restrict that group's behaviour. Demonstrate to me with evidence that second hand smoke in open air public places is a significant health risk and I'll be willing to change my mind. Otherwise I'm firmly against regulating behaviour for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Dickfore said:
My car and BBQ also "smoke". Should grilling in public places as well as driving be forbidden as well?

On the contrary, BBQing quotas should be in place to force people to BBQ at least once a week outdoors where I can smell it.

Ryan_m_b said:
I understand the point about butts but I don't see why that needs a ban more than harsher penalties for littering (and some enforcement) along with more bins with stub plates around. There's more gum all over the street than butts but we don't ban that.

As for second hand smoke as has been pointed out there are far more noxious fumes in public places than smoking. Having a cigarette on the pavement isn't just minute it's negligible. Honestly how much second hand smoke does the average person breathe in when walking outdoors? Nothing that will ever cause harm I'd wager.

I'm all for regulation when a group is doing something that leads to harm to others but when the harm is negligible to non-existent I don't think it's morally right to try and restrict that group's behaviour. Demonstrate to me with evidence that second hand smoke in open air public places is a significant health risk and I'll be willing to change my mind. Otherwise I'm firmly against regulating behaviour for the sake of it.

You can take my opinion with a grain of salt as I tend to favor anything that might deter people from smoking or reduce the visibility of the act of smoking in society. I'm not saying a public-space smoking ban is the best solution to any particular problem or that second-hand smoke in open outdoor areas is measurably harmful, I'm just saying I wouldn't oppose such a ban.

Personally, I feel that the toll that smoking takes on your health, the additional healthcare costs (that we all bear) for treating smoking-related illnesses, the toll on the families of smokers who see their loved ones develop those diseases, and the perpetuation of the habit onto future generations are all unconscionable.

Last edited:
EricVT said:
You can take my opinion with a grain of salt as I tend to favor anything that might deter people from smoking or reduce the visibility of the act of smoking in society. I'm not saying a public-space smoking ban is the best solution to any particular problem or that second-hand smoke in open outdoor areas is measurably harmful, I'm just saying I wouldn't oppose such a ban.

Personally, I feel that the toll that smoking takes on your health, the additional healthcare costs (that we all bare) for treating smoking-related illnesses, the toll on the families of smokers who see their loved ones develop those diseases, and the perpetuation of the habit onto future generations are all unconscionable.
Fair enough. We're mostly in agreement though personally if someone decides that they are willing to take the risk and become a full on smoker I don't think that anything should be done to force them otherwise (aside from tax, I don't mind taxing higher products and services that lead to increased healthcare costs).

I just don't see the point of banning smoking in a park when sitting around a campfire while the moron who is burning plastic in his campfire is allowed to.

Averagesupernova said:
I just don't see the point of banning smoking in a park when sitting around a campfire while the moron who is burning plastic in his campfire is allowed to.

I don't think the 'moron' is allowed to. I could be wrong.
If you have a link to prove otherwise, I would be glad to see it.

Averagesupernova said:
I believe that's illegal (in the UK);
http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/neighbourhood-nuisance/garden-bonfires/#wa790
Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (as amended) it is an offence for people to dispose of their domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health. In practice you should not burn waste that is likely to create excessive smoke or noxious fumes. If only dry garden waste is burnt, your bonfire should not cause a problem.

Most bonfire problems are addressed under nuisance legislation. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, a statutory nuisance includes "smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance." In practice a fire would have to be a recurrent persistent problem, interfering substantially with neighbours' well-being, comfort or enjoyment of their property.

[...]

Never burn household rubbish, rubber tyres or anything containing plastic, foam or paint

Dickfore said:

There's a big difference between tobacco smoke and car or BBQ smoke.
And usually cars and BBQs don't go to various public gatherings, etc., and stand just in front of them, to the extent that leaving high levels of smoke without leaving the outdoor public place is very problematic.

Also, let's not forget that second hand smoking isn't the only harm of smoking. First hand smoking is the most harmful one. And bans have been proven to be highly effective in reducing the effects of both first hand and second hand smoking.

EricVT said:
Personally, I feel that the toll that smoking takes on your health, the additional healthcare costs (that we all bear) for treating smoking-related illnesses, the toll on the families of smokers who see their loved ones develop those diseases, and the perpetuation of the habit onto future generations are all unconscionable.
What are those costs that we all bear?

Compare to alcoholics. Alcoholics cost society while they are of working age because alcoholics are much more likely to be unemployed than the typical member of society. Alcoholics who don't smoke cost society well past retirement age because their addiction is not quite as deadly as smoking. They collect old age benefits for quite some time before they die.

Compare to clean living. Those who don't indulge in alcohol or tobacco tend to live well past retirement age. Throughout this retirement period, they collect social security benefits and get insurance through Medicare. Their grip on life is strong, even while they are slowly dying of old age. The last few years of their life is a very expensive proposition.

Smokers pay insurance, social security taxes, income taxes, and cigarette taxes throughout their working age and then they die, right about at retirement age. They are not a big burden on social security and Medicare. Smokers are the optimal aged citizen from the perspective of the government. Social security and Medicare wouldn't be in near the bind they are in if everyone died at 65 the way smokers tend to do.

D H said:

Compare to alcoholics...
Just to chime in on this one, in the UK our binge drinking culture costs billions of pounds per year. That's not just in NHS costs in repairing people who have accidents and get in fights but also the cost of extra policing, damage to property etc. IMO this is a far bigger issue that needs tackling than smoking (not that I'm saying alcohol needs to be banned but a way to discourage binging would be good).

I smoked for ten years before quitting. Smoke and ash get into everything, it's horibly destructive indoors. Seedy bars probably don't care though; it's good for atmosphere. Heh.

D H said:

Compare to alcoholics. Alcoholics cost society while they are of working age because alcoholics are much more likely to be unemployed than the typical member of society. Alcoholics who don't smoke cost society well past retirement age because their addiction is not quite as deadly as smoking. They collect old age benefits for quite some time before they die.

Compare to clean living. Those who don't indulge in alcohol or tobacco tend to live well past retirement age. Throughout this retirement period, they collect social security benefits and get insurance through Medicare. Their grip on life is strong, even while they are slowly dying of old age. The last few years of their life is a very expensive proposition.

Smokers pay insurance, social security taxes, income taxes, and cigarette taxes throughout their working age and then they die, right about at retirement age. They are not a big burden on social security and Medicare. Smokers are the optimal aged citizen from the perspective of the government. Social security and Medicare wouldn't be in near the bind they are in if everyone died at 65 the way smokers tend to do.

I didn't realize this thread was about alcohol use, nor did I realize that societal problems with alcohol make problems with smoking irrelevant. I have similar opinions about the burden that alcohol abuse has on society but didn't realize this was the place to discuss it.

And I have heard the argument of smokers dying sooner and saving us money many times. It doesn't change my opinion that treating smoking-related illnesses ties up financial resources and productive time that could be spent on extending healthy life instead of trying to salvage someone's ruined health.

[personal rant]
As a non-smoker who takes public transit to and from work every day, I really dislike people who smoke at bus stops. Where I live, the wind can be chillingly cold for six months of the year, so I particularly dislike people who smoke inside shelters at bus stops.
[end personal rant]

How widespread are smoking bans in bars in the U.S? Here in Canada, smoking in bars is banned country-wide

George Jones said:
How widespread are smoking bans in bars in the U.S? Here in Canada, smoking in bars is banned country-wide
It varies state by state, and sometimes, municipality by municipality. Kentucky and Tennessee? Where bars are legal, smoking in them is probably legal, too. Smoking in restaurants is legal in some municipalities in Kentucky and Tennessee.

One of our local bars has a sign that says:
"Having a smoking section in a bar is like having a peeing zone in a pool."

Cinitiator said:
In your opinion, should smoking in all the public places, including streets, parks and even rivers be banned? In my opinion, it should. Not only have smoking bans been proven to be highly effective in reducing the overall mortality rate and the incidence of various diseases (Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/29/smoking-bans-heart-attacks-strokes/1664193/), but they could also potentially prevent second-hand smoking, which causes close to 50,000 deaths per year (Source: http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-23/us/new.york.smoking.ban_1_smoking-on-public-beaches-smoking-ban-secondhand-smoke?_s=PM:US [Broken]).

Not only do I think that those who smoke should be protected from the negative effects of smoking, but I also think that those who don't smoke and yet are forced to suffer from the consequences of the second-hand smoking should be protected as well. I don't want to suffer an increased risk of various cancers, respiratory disease and heart disease because some people are far too selfish and individualistic.

Your point seems to be that smoking should be banned because it is harmful both to the smoker and to nearby people. Do you favor banning everything that is harmful or do you have a reason for singling out smoking?

George Jones said:
[personal rant]
As a non-smoker who takes public transit to and from work every day, I really dislike people who smoke at bus stops. Where I live, the wind can be chillingly cold for six months of the year, so I particularly dislike people who smoke inside shelters at bus stops.
[end personal rant]

IIRC the UK smoking ban was later modified to include public transport stops (bus and train) amongst other areas where people are forced to congregate like entrances to buildings. That makes sense IMO but a general ban I don't see any good reason for.

Cinitiator said:
Prove it.

Cinitiator said:
And usually cars and BBQs don't go to various public gatherings, etc., and stand just in front of them, to the extent that leaving high levels of smoke without leaving the outdoor public place is very problematic.
That's funny. I've seen a lot of bbq's and cars in miles-long lines near public events, such as sports games, firework displays, etc.

Cinitiator said:
Also, let's not forget that second hand smoking isn't the only harm of smoking. First hand smoking is the most harmful one. And bans have been proven to be highly effective in reducing the effects of both first hand and second hand smoking.
Well, bans do not reduce the effects of anything. They may reduce the exposure, but the supposed effects still remain. In any case, there are far more dangerous substances to one's health that are not banned. What is the minimal concentration and for how long do you have to be exposed to it to feel the effects of smoking?

Cinitiator said:
Are you suggesting that pollution from car exhausts (especially in urban and congestion areas) is not a public health concern?
Cinitiator said:
Studies on second hand smoke focus on indoor conditions over time i.e. living with a smoker. Do you have any references to support the claim that irregular second hand smoke in an open-air environment is a significant public health concern?

That's not to suggest that standing near a smoker outside won't expose you to significant amounts of second hand smoke but given the frequency and length of said exposure is (generally) going to be incredibly low is there anything to suggest there is a significant effect to long term health?

Last edited:
Third hand smoke too. Even with outside smokers who can eliminate second hand smoke, ash and resin collecting in furniture, walls, your clothes, your hands, your hair gets transferred to babies. NOT THE CHILDREN!
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/third-hand-smoke/AN01985

[STRIKE]If I recall, children of outdoor smokers had four times the nicotine levels of non-smokers.
[/STRIKE]
edit: here it is:

Although the homes had been thoroughly cleaned, including painting and carpet replacement in many cases, nonsmokers living in the homes of former smokers had seven to eight times more nicotine on their fingertips than those who moved into nonsmoker homes, and urine cotinine levels were three to five times higher in their children.
http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=671

In the UK smoking outside in certain areas is banned. For example places where the public would usually congregate like bus stops, train stations and at ATM machines where people queue. I think it's perfectly justifiable.

This just proves my theory about the fractal nature of smoking.

Dickfore said:
This just proves my theory about the fractal nature of smoking.

people smoke cigarettes who smoke cigarettes who smoke cigarettes?

Ryan_m_b said:
Studies on second hand smoke focus on indoor conditions over time i.e. living with a smoker. Do you have any references to support the claim that irregular second hand smoke in an open-air environment is a significant public health concern?

That's not to suggest that standing near a smoker outside won't expose you to significant amounts of second hand smoke but given the frequency and length of said exposure is (generally) going to be incredibly low is there anything to suggest there is a significant effect to long term health?
As an example of what I am talking about take this paper which looked at concentration of airborne particles in proximity to smokers in outdoor areas. There's not much that is a surprise, being within 0.5 metres of a smoker exposes one to high concentrations but this drops off significantly with distance. The length of said distance being effected by wind direction but around two metres. Once smoking has stopped exposure ceases unlike indoor conditions where the smoke persists. This article shows that there is a potential risk of second hand smoke in outdoor conditions when in proximity to a smoker however it's not an indication that outdoor smoking is in general a significant health risk as the frequency in which other people are in close proximity to outdoor smokers is unknown.
Abstract said:
The current lack of empirical data on outdoor tobacco smoke (OTS) levels impedes OTS exposure and risk assessments. We sought to measure peak and time-averaged OTS concentrations in common outdoor settings near smokers and to explore the determinants of time-varying OTS levels, including the effects of source proximity and wind. Using five types of real-time airborne particle monitoring devices, we obtained more than 8000 min worth of continuous monitoring data, during which there were measurable OTS levels. Measurement intervals ranged from 2 sec to 1 min for the different instruments. We monitored OTS levels during 15 on-site visits to 10 outdoor public places where active cigar and cigarette smokers were present, including parks, sidewalk cafés, and restaurant and pub patios. For three of the visits and during 4 additional days of monitoring outdoors and indoors at a private residence, we controlled smoking activity at precise distances from monitored positions. The overall average OTS respirable particle concentration for the surveys of public places during smoking was approximately 30 microg m(-3). OTS exhibited sharp spikes in particle mass concentration during smoking that sometimes exceeded 1000 microg m(-3) at distances within 0.5 m of the source. Some average concentrations over the duration of a cigarette and within 0.5 m exceeded 200 microg m(-3), with some average downwind levels exceeding 500 microg m(-3). OTS levels in a constant upwind direction from an active cigarette source were nearly zero. OTS levels also approached zero at distances greater than approximately 2 m from a single cigarette. During periods of active smoking, peak and average OTS levels near smokers rivaled indoor tobacco smoke concentrations. However, OTS levels dropped almost instantly after smoking activity ceased. Based on our results, it is possible for OTS to present a nuisance or hazard under certain conditions of wind and smoker proximity.

Alfi said:
I don't think the 'moron' is allowed to. I could be wrong.
If you have a link to prove otherwise, I would be glad to see it.

My point for the slow folks on this forum is that when you go to a park where campfires and smoke from them are plentiful why would you complain about a little tobacco smoke?
-
Of course there are places where it is illegal to burn plastic. But do you seriously think anyone is going to go around the campground policing it? You would have to be caught in the act before it would go anywhere. The most that would happen is someone from the parks service walking through reminding everyone to keep the plastic out of the campfires.
-
Note: I am NOT a smoker but I think burning plastic is WAY more of an offensive smell than tobacco.

Ryan_m_b said:
Are you suggesting that pollution from car exhausts (especially in urban and congestion areas) is not a public health concern?

It is a huge concern, and more environment and health solutions should be found. However, I'm suggesting that banning public exhaust in public places would have a far greater cost to society than banning smoking in public places. The means wouldn't justify the ends in the first case, as it would paralyze various socioeconomic mechanisms.

Do you have any references to support the claim that irregular second hand smoke in an open-air environment is a significant public health concern?

Yes.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091118154619.htm
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2007/may9/smoking-050907.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444900304577581663323288258.html

Cinitiator said:
Your second link is a report on the paper I posted before and does not support your position. Your third link is a report on the same paper as the first and it makes me wonder if you've read it. The authors acknowledge that the time scales they are looking at are very atypical (it's very rare for anyone to be in close proximity to second hand smokers outside for periods of 6 hours solid) and even more importantly they say:
Author quote said:
Still, the researchers caution that it's too early to draw policy conclusions from their findings. Cotinine is a marker of exposure to tobacco, Naeher said, but is not a carcinogen. The team is currently planning a study that would measure levels of a molecule known as NNAL, which is a marker of tobacco exposure and a known carcinogen, in people exposed to second-hand smoke outdoors.
I don't deny that, as the authors point out, long term close proximity to smokers outside will have health effects but what has not been established is the prevalence of such situations. Beyond occupations which will put you in contact with outdoor smokers for significant amounts of time (e.g. waiting an outdoor cafe) when does the average person ever spend more than a few seconds, perhaps a few times a day, in close proximity to an outdoor smoker?

Ryan_m_b said:
Your second link is a report on the paper I posted before and does not support your position. Your third link is a report on the same paper as the first and it makes me wonder if you've read it. The authors acknowledge that the time scales they are looking at are very atypical (it's very rare for anyone to be in close proximity to second hand smokers outside for periods of 6 hours solid) and even more importantly they say:

I don't deny that, as the authors point out, long term close proximity to smokers outside will have health effects but what has not been established is the prevalence of such situations. Beyond occupations which will put you in contact with outdoor smokers for significant amounts of time (e.g. waiting an outdoor cafe) when does the average person ever spend more than a few seconds, perhaps a few times a day, in close proximity to an outdoor smoker?

You asked me to provide a study which supports the assertion that outdoor smoking is a serious public health concern. As the author said:
"Our study suggests that there is reason to be concerned about second-hand smoke levels outdoors," said study co-author Gideon St. Helen, who is pursuing his Ph.D. through the university's Interdisciplinary Toxicology Program, "and our findings are an incentive for us to do further studies to see what the effects of those levels are."

Of course, a concern and a policy action requirement are different things. And the said concern gains even more credibility when examining the outdoor second hand smoking health effects on children:
http://eurpub.oxfordjournals.org/content/13/1/61.short [Broken]

<h2>1. Should smoking in all public places be banned?</h2><p>Yes, smoking in all public places should be banned. This includes both indoor and outdoor spaces. </p><h2>2. What is the reason for banning smoking in all public places?</h2><p>The main reason for banning smoking in all public places is to protect the health of non-smokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke contains over 7,000 chemicals, hundreds of which are toxic and at least 70 of which can cause cancer. It is a serious health risk for non-smokers, especially in enclosed spaces where smoke can linger.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits of banning smoking in all public places?</h2><p>Banning smoking in all public places has numerous benefits. It not only protects the health of non-smokers, but it also encourages smokers to quit or reduce their smoking, leading to improved health outcomes for both individuals and the population as a whole. Additionally, it reduces the risk of fire and litter caused by cigarette butts.</p><h2>4. Are there any drawbacks to banning smoking in all public places?</h2><p>Some may argue that banning smoking in all public places infringes on personal freedom and choice. However, this argument neglects the fact that secondhand smoke affects the health of others and that non-smokers have the right to breathe clean air. Furthermore, there are designated smoking areas and private spaces where smokers can still choose to smoke.</p><h2>5. Has banning smoking in all public places been effective in other countries?</h2><p>Yes, many countries around the world have implemented smoking bans in public places and have seen significant reductions in secondhand smoke exposure and improved health outcomes. For example, Ireland saw a 97% reduction in indoor air pollution after implementing a smoking ban in 2004. This demonstrates the effectiveness of such policies in protecting public health.</p>

1. Should smoking in all public places be banned?

Yes, smoking in all public places should be banned. This includes both indoor and outdoor spaces.

2. What is the reason for banning smoking in all public places?

The main reason for banning smoking in all public places is to protect the health of non-smokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke contains over 7,000 chemicals, hundreds of which are toxic and at least 70 of which can cause cancer. It is a serious health risk for non-smokers, especially in enclosed spaces where smoke can linger.

3. What are the benefits of banning smoking in all public places?

Banning smoking in all public places has numerous benefits. It not only protects the health of non-smokers, but it also encourages smokers to quit or reduce their smoking, leading to improved health outcomes for both individuals and the population as a whole. Additionally, it reduces the risk of fire and litter caused by cigarette butts.

4. Are there any drawbacks to banning smoking in all public places?

Some may argue that banning smoking in all public places infringes on personal freedom and choice. However, this argument neglects the fact that secondhand smoke affects the health of others and that non-smokers have the right to breathe clean air. Furthermore, there are designated smoking areas and private spaces where smokers can still choose to smoke.

5. Has banning smoking in all public places been effective in other countries?

Yes, many countries around the world have implemented smoking bans in public places and have seen significant reductions in secondhand smoke exposure and improved health outcomes. For example, Ireland saw a 97% reduction in indoor air pollution after implementing a smoking ban in 2004. This demonstrates the effectiveness of such policies in protecting public health.

Back