How famous are italian universities outside Italy?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Grands
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Outside Universities
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 3K views
Grands
Messages
235
Reaction score
48
Hi guys.
I know that in the US there are the best universities of the world, but I wanted to ask if there are any italian university well-known outside Italy.
Without using Google, which are the name of italian universities you know about?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The only one that pops in my mind is Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa. But the only reason is because the most famous Italian physicist is probably Enrico Fermi, and that university shows up in his biographical summaries.
 
There are a number of good universities in Italy that PF people may not know of. If you want to get a graduate degree at an Italian University, ask an Italian physicist for recommendations.
 
Grands said:
Hi guys.
I know that in the US there are the best universities of the world, but I wanted to ask if there are any italian university well-known outside Italy.
Without using Google, which are the name of italian universities you know about?

Thanks.
I did not use Google. I used wikipedia, directly.
 
symbolipoint said:
I did not use Google. I used wikipedia, directly.
It's the same, my intend was to says to don't use internet al all, to write down the first italian university name you remember.
 
Grands said:
It's the same, my intend was to says to don't use internet al all, to write down the first italian university name you remember.
Many people who are not in Italy would not know what or which universities ARE in Italy. They would only know "Italy is a big and well known country, so it must obviously have universities." Too common in current day is to reach for a computer connected to internet and pick a few notable information hubs to conduct a search.
 
symbolipoint said:
Many people who are not in Italy would not know what or which universities ARE in Italy. They would only know "Italy is a big and well known country, so it must obviously have universities." Too common in current day is to reach for a computer connected to internet and pick a few notable information hubs to conduct a search.
I think the obvious intent of the OP is to determine which Italian universities (if any) are widely recognized by members of this forum (at all or as top flight) ... those that you would rattle off the top of your head without a lookup. More along the lines of: Survey says

US: MIT, Harvard, Caltech, Stanford
UK: Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh
Italy: ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Grands, symbolipoint and ISamson
Universita` di Padova (University of Padua). Quite known for its medicine.
Galileo did most of his work here and held a position of mathematician - this makes it even more interesting and famous.
 
Grands said:
It's the same, my intend was to says to don't use internet al all, to write down the first italian university name you remember.

The problem with that is that many (perhaps not all) universities in Italy (as well as in many other countries) have fairly complicated names which are difficult to remember unless you speak Italian. I have collaborated with several groups in Italy but I still can never remember the name of the university. I usually resort to just stating the name of the city (Naples, Pisa etc); but this is obviously only correct if there is only one university in that city.
This includes one of the two(?) universities in Naples which I have even visited. The only one I can always remember the name of is university of l'aquila because of its rather "obvious" name.
I have exactly the same problem with universities in France (where they seem to love really complicated affiliations).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ISamson
Rome - Parisi is there.
The advanced studies center in Trieste is not a university, but it is a famous academic center.
 
List of Italian universities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Italy

In terms of universities in that list that are especially well-renowned, I can think of five:

1. University of Bologna,
2. University of Padua,
3. University of Naples,
4. University of Turin (where renowned mathematician Giuseppe Peano had completed his doctorate, along with renowned neurobiologist Rita Levi-Montalcini),
5. Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS, famous for among others, physicist Enrico Fermi, mathematician Lamberto Cesari).
 
Grand's point became that too many people who are not near enough to Italy don't know any Italian universities without making a search through Google (or through Wikipedia, or other sources).

(Regarding StatGuy2000, post #17)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Grands
symbolipoint said:
Grand's point became that too many people who are not near enough to Italy don't know any Italian universities without making a search through Google (or through Wikipedia, or other sources).
Yes, that's the point, I live in italy so I know witch are the italian universities, my question was about which italian university is very famous for the people that live outside Italy.
 
Users just have to write the name of an italian university they know, like Greg Bernhardt did.