1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far along circular arch is an astronaut

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a space station consists of two donut shaped living chambers A and B, that have radii r(A)= 3.2x10^2m and r(B)=1.10x10^3m. As the station rotates, the astronaut in chamber A is moved 2.40x10^2 m along a circular arc. how far along a circular arc is an astronaut in chamber B moved during the same time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i used a proportion r(A)/ circular arc = r(B)/ x and solved for x i got the correct answer but my
    but i was wondering if there was a different way to solve this using formulas...my physics prof. would not be happy if i didnt use correct formulas. thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    Do you remember the formula for arc length? Find θ, it will be the same for both living chambers. Do you see why your approach also works using the arc length formula?

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    s=theta x r i see now how that works...thanks so much, i didnt think of that at first. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook