How far am I from understanding this thread: "Is QED nonrelativistic?"

In summary, the conversation discusses the knowledge and understanding of an undergraduate student in relation to a discussion on a physics forum. The participant expresses their familiarity with the fundamentals of physics and their curiosity about the level of knowledge needed to participate in the discussion. The response assures them that they are still far from being able to fully understand the complex concepts being discussed, but that it is still interesting to observe the discussion. The conversation ends on a light note, with one participant thanking the other.
davidge
Hi. I'm at the second year to get my bachelor degree in physics. I actually know the fundamentals of physics. I was looking some threads on PF, then I found this one https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-qed-nonrelativistic.900451

My question is, given that I have approximately the knowledge of an undergraduate student, How far I am from knowing those things that the PF participants talk about on that thread?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty far. And no reason to worry whatsoever: occasionally I browse through such threads and realize you can't know everything but it's interesting to see the tough guys slug it out. It's like soccer: you can't play with them but it's still nice to watch a game.

was signed,
dr BvU

Likes Buzz Bloom, davidge and Dishsoap
BvU said:
Pretty far. And no reason to worry whatsoever: occasionally I browse through such threads and realize you can't know everything but it's interesting to see the tough guys slug it out. It's like soccer: you can't play with them but it's still nice to watch a game.

was signed,
dr BvU
hehe Thanks

What is QED?

Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

What does it mean for QED to be nonrelativistic?

In physics, relativity is the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Nonrelativistic QED refers to a version of QED that does not fully take into account the principles of relativity.

Why is it important to understand if QED is nonrelativistic?

Understanding the relativistic aspects of QED is important because it allows for a more accurate description of the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields, especially at high energies.

What evidence suggests that QED may be nonrelativistic?

Experimental evidence, including the Lamb shift and the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron, suggest that QED may not be fully consistent with the principles of relativity.

Is it possible to reconcile QED with relativity?

Yes, there have been attempts to reconcile QED with relativity, such as the development of relativistic quantum field theories. However, these theories are still being explored and tested.