How far away must an oncoming car be for safe passing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter matrix_anki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Grade 12
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
matrix_anki
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I need some help with part C of the question. I've already done the other 2 parts and shall post my solution to parts a and b soon. But in the meantime if any1 can get me started with c...

Car A traveling at 100km/hr begins to accelerate in order to pass another car traveling at 100 km/hr. Car A accelerates until it reaches a velocity of 130 km/hr which takes 4.5 s.

a) What is the acceleration of car A?
b) At the end of Car A's acceleration, how far in front of the other car is it?
c) If an oncoming car is traveling at 110km/hr, how far would it have to be from car A when it begins its acceleration.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm frankly not exactly sure I understand what part c is asking. Is the other car accelerating? What does it mean "how far does it have to be from car A?" How far does it have to be to do what? I don't understand the question.

- Warren
 
Chroot, my interpretation of C is this: car A is just able to get back to its correct side of the road without hitting the oncoming car.
Assuming that, how far from A must this oncoming car (going at a steady 110 km/hr) be at the time A starts accelerating.