How Far Can I Hike Up a Mountain After a 500 Calorie Lunch?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
layla2525
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am 65 kg and eat a 500 Calorie lunch and go hiking up a mountain afterwards. Assuming that chemical energy is converted to gravitational potential energy with 50% efficiency, approximately how many miles up the mountain can I go before I need my dinner?

0.5 miles

1 mile

2 miles

3 miles

4 miles


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I solved for height by (2.0 x 10^(6))/ (65kg)(9.8)
which gave me 301538.4615, and then dived it by 2 because of the efficiency and got 1569.8587, now how can i convert into miles?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
layla2525 said:
250-Calorie* snack, which contains 1x10^6 J

Close yes but 250 calories is not a lot. It's likely that kilo-calories is intended.
What is a relevant equation for potential energy (in units?)
 
Last edited:
I got 1569 for my efficiency What do I do after I get the Efficiency ?