How far do W+ - and Z guage bosons travel in m?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter HawkI
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bosons Travel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
HawkI
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
This is as far as I've got so far but I think I'm stuck. These bosons are inside neutrinos and they go near the speed of light. The half life of these bosons (lambada) is 3*(10-25) s

The speed of light (c) is 299 792 458m/s

So I did this c / 3*(10-25) = 9.993081931m/s

I just don't have a good feeling about this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So Distance is equal to Velocity multiplied by Time, ok thank you.

Therefore 299 792 458 * 3*10-25 = 8.9937737-16 m/s

So that's roughly 9 femto metres?
 
m, not m/s. We're talking about distance, right?

And 1 femtometer (fm) is 10-15 m so 9 x 10-16 m = 0.9 fm.
 
Oh yeah woops I did indeed mean m, I even pressed edit on that post to check and I still missed that.
Wow thank you so the answer then is that these gauge bosons travel 0.9 fm. in there time span of 0.00000003 atto seconds?

Edit I looked up SI units on Wikipedia, they have more SI units than my Maths dictionary. 0.3 ym yocto seconds
 
Last edited: