1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far downstream has the boat moved?

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] How far downstream has the boat moved?

I can't figure out the last part of this question. It's probably very simple and I'm just over looking it. The answers in part A are right. I just don't know how to get part B.

A river flows due east at 1.80 m/s. A boat crosses the river from the south shore to the north shore by maintaining a constant velocity of 9.0 m/s due north relative to the water.

(a) What is the velocity of the boat relative to shore?
    9.178 m/s
    78.69° (north of east)

(b) If the river is 400 m wide, how far downstream has the boat moved by the time it reaches the north shore?
    m

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. Find out the time the boat takes to traverse the 400 meters in the northern direction, at speed 9 m/s

2. Then find out the boat's (eastern) dowstream displacement in the same time .

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3
    So to fine the time it takes the boat to go 400 meters at a speed of 9 m/s. I divided 400/9.0 and got 44.4444s.

Then I thought to find the downstream displacement given that time you would just divide the 44.444s/(1.8m/s)? But that's wrong and I don't know what else to do?

5. Feb 2, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is distance?

Velocity MULTIPLIED WITH time!

6. Feb 2, 2008 #5
    SOLVED thanks...sorry for some reason I thought you divided it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?