How far has the boat moved and in which direction?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving two individuals, Jane and John, sitting on opposite ends of a boat while fishing. Jane has a mass of 50 kg and John has a mass of 30 kg, while the boat itself has a mass of 20 kg and a length of 2.0m. The question posed was, when Jane and John switch places, how far does the boat move and in which direction? The attempted solution used the equation 1/M (m1x
emily081715

Homework Statement

Jane and her little brother John are fishing, sitting at opposite ends of a boat (Jane on the left, John on the right). Jane is having incredible luck! John, not so much. Jane offers to switch places in the boat with John. Jane has mass of 50 kg, john has a mass 30kg, and the boat is 2.0m long with a mass of 20 kg. When Jane and John have switched places, how far has the boat moved and in which direction?

Homework Equations

1/M (m1x1+ m2x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/20 (50(1)+30(1))=4.0m

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question?

Can you explain your use of your relevant equation? What does it represent?
How did you assign values to x1 and x2? How does the length of the boat come into play?

gneill said:
Did you have a question?

Can you explain your use of your relevant equation? What does it represent?
How did you assign values to x1 and x2? How does the length of the boat come into play?
the question is how far has the boat moved and in which direction?
the x1 and x2 are the centre of masses of the object

emily081715 said:
the question is how far has the boat moved and in which direction?
That's the problem statement. What is your question? Are you happy with your solution?
the x1 and x2 are the centre of masses of the object
Why are they both "1" ? What is the coordinate system? Where are these "1's" being measured from?

gneill said:
That's the problem statement. What is your question? Are you happy with your solution?

Why are they both "1" ? What is the coordinate system? Where are these "1's" being measured from?
i'm wondering if the solution i did was correct. I am unsure what the centre of mass would be, i assumed they were both one which is half the boat

emily081715 said:
i'm wondering if the solution i did was correct. I am unsure what the centre of mass would be, i assumed they were both one which is half the boat
The boat is only 2m long. If it moves 4m, the mass centre of the system has certainly moved.
Your x1 and x2 are presumably displacements from somewhere - where? should they both be positive?
Your equation seems to be more hopeful than based on any principles. Try to describe the logic behind it.

haruspex said:
The boat is only 2m long. If it moves 4m, the mass centre of the system has certainly moved.
Your x1 and x2 are presumably displacements from somewhere - where? should they both be positive?
Your equation seems to be more hopeful than based on any principles. Try to describe the logic behind it.
I used that equation because that is what my prof gave us in lecture. Not a lot of explanation in how to use it though. So I see where you think I'm hopeful with it. No one direction should be negative, since the people move in opposite detection.

emily081715 said:
I used that equation because that is what my prof gave us in lecture. Not a lot of explanation in how to use it though. So I see where you think I'm hopeful with it. No one direction should be negative, since the people move in opposite detection.
An equation is meaningless without a context defining what all the variables represent.
I can offer you a context for the Prof's equation. M= m1+m2; m1 and m2 are masses at (signed) offsets x1 and x2 respectively from some reference point along the line of their centres. The result is the offset of the common mass centre from that same reference.
In the present problem you have three masses. Can you see how to extend the equation to handle that? Choose a reference point. Can you now work out what numbers to plug in?

i solved the question on my own, no further explanation needed

1. How can we measure the distance the boat has moved?

There are several methods for measuring the distance a boat has moved, such as using GPS, a compass, or landmarks on shore. The most accurate method would be to use GPS, which uses satellite signals to calculate the boat's position and distance traveled.

2. How do we determine the direction in which the boat has moved?

The direction in which the boat has moved can be determined by using a compass or by using the boat's heading or bearing. A compass will give you a cardinal direction (north, south, east, west), while the boat's heading or bearing will give you a more specific direction in degrees.

3. Can we calculate the speed at which the boat has moved?

Yes, the speed at which the boat has moved can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. For example, if the boat traveled 10 miles in 2 hours, the speed would be 5 miles per hour.

4. How do we account for factors such as wind and currents in determining the boat's movement?

To account for external factors such as wind and currents, we can use a technique called dead reckoning. This involves tracking the boat's movement in relation to its starting point and taking into consideration any external forces that may have affected its movement. Another option is to use a navigation system that can compensate for these factors.

5. Is it possible to determine the exact path the boat has taken?

With the use of advanced technology such as GPS and navigation systems, it is possible to track and map out the exact path the boat has taken. However, factors such as wind and currents may cause the boat's movement to deviate slightly from a straight path.