How far is the hurricane from an island

• Thread starter elitespart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hurricane
In summary, the eye of Hurricane Florence passed over Grand Bahama Island on September 14th. Exactly 3 hours later, the course of the hurricane shifted north, and its speed slowed to 25.0km/h. The hurricane passed 4.50 hours from Grand Bahama Island, and the distance from the island to the hurricane at that time was 123km.
elitespart
The eye of a hurricane passes over Grand Bahama Island. It is moving in a direction 60.0° north of west with a speed of 41.0km/h. Exactly 3 hours later, the course of the hurricane shifts due north, and its speed slows to 25.0km/h. How far from Grand Bahama is the hurricane 4.50 hours after it passes over the island?

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6613/scan0001iq8.jpg

-I'm really stumped over this question. Like I know I have to make a triangle and use sine, cosine... one of those, but I have no idea where to get started. Mainly because I missed the last 2 days of physics class. Some help would be truly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How long does it travel due north?

Make points A, B, and C as such:

A: Grand Bahama Island
B: The location of the hurricane when it shifts directions (three hours after passing over Grand Bahama Island)
C: The final location of the hurricane

What two side lengths do you know? What angles do you know?

it's travels 1.5 hours due north. and i know the 60.0° which is it's initial direction but tht doesn't tell me the angle inside the triangle. and also i know the 2 sides are 123km and 37.5 km.

if u look properly, u'd be able to find the obtuse angle in the triangle, which is the only angle u need to get ur answer.

if u draw a line parallel to the dotted line, at where the hurricane changes direction, u get to realize an alt angle, don't you?

from there i think i should be able to find the abutse angle, and then proceed to use the cosine rule to get the distance from the island to the hurricane 4.5 hrs later.

pls correct me if I am wrong.

no i think ur right. so cosine of degrees?

elitespart said:
no i think ur right. so cosine of degrees?

hmm? are you asking me for a direct answer? look closely.

nvm i got the answer

1. How do scientists determine the distance of a hurricane from an island?

Scientists use satellite imagery, radar data, and other meteorological tools to track the location and movement of a hurricane. They can also estimate the distance based on the hurricane's intensity and wind speeds.

2. Can a hurricane be too far away from an island to cause damage?

Yes, the distance of a hurricane from an island plays a significant role in the potential for damage. The closer the hurricane is to the island, the higher the likelihood of strong winds, storm surge, and heavy rainfall impacting the island.

3. Does the size of a hurricane affect its distance from an island?

The size of a hurricane can affect how far it is from an island. Larger hurricanes may have a wider reach and be able to impact islands that are farther away, while smaller hurricanes may only affect islands that are nearby.

4. How often do hurricanes make landfall on islands?

The frequency of hurricanes making landfall on islands varies depending on the location and time of year. Some regions, such as the Caribbean, are more prone to hurricanes than others. On average, about 12% of hurricanes make landfall on islands.

5. Is there a minimum distance a hurricane must be from an island to be considered a threat?

There is no specific minimum distance for a hurricane to be considered a threat to an island. The strength and trajectory of the hurricane, as well as the vulnerability of the island, are factors that determine the level of threat. However, it is generally recommended to evacuate if a hurricane is within 100 miles of an island.