TV Content: Where Do We Draw the Line?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary: Continuation of the conversation on another post.In summary, people have different opinions on how far TV should go. Some people think that it has gone too far, while others think that it is ok. Europeans think that nudity and cursing are ok on any channel. Some people think that TV has gone too far, while others think that it is ok. People have different opinions on how far TV should go.

What do you think?

• It's perfecty okay

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No vulgarity on TV!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only censored

• no nudity

• No swearing

• Only on certain channels

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Only on Pay per view

• Tv has gone too far

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
JamesU
Gold Member
This just popped into my head while watching TV.

How far is too far on TV? Most Tv shows include swearing, and even nudity! :eek: Do you think that this is going too far? some people are completely offended by what's on tv, others are fine with it.

what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only on certain channels, the reason why I think so is obvious. I accidently voted otherwise. What do various Europeans think of this? Different countries? I'd like to see that.

In Europe I think its ok to show breasts on any (??) channel, because duh, its a part of their beauty!

Uhm, inform me and others on that if I'm incorrent.

i don't mind nudity, swearing etc...
wht i don't like is the fact tht some news channels show the most gruesome details of murders, terrosist attacks etc which i can't stomach..

TV has gone too far. THESE SHOWS ALL SUCK! I hate absolutely everything they put out these days, ESPECIALLY from FOX.

Oh wait... swearing? what are we talking about again?

Nothing wrong with any of it. You choose to watch it, at least it's made available in the first place...sorta
I hate how much movies are censored, and how certain scenes are cut out :/
Like office space, they took out so much from the movie...

Fu*k the FCC! And Fu*k these forums for making me censor words! I am strongly opposed to censorship, especially on tv. One question: What channels are you watching that show nudity and cursing? I can think of maybe HBO, but that is it.

mattmns said:
And Fu*k these forums for making me censor words!
When posters have free rein to be verbally abusive to each other forums get taken over by the verbally abusive posters and the articulate ones stop posting.

The option I would prefer isn't there. I think day time network TV has gone too far, but have no problem with adult content being aired after 10 PM, when all the little kids should be sound asleep, and I have no problem with adult content on cable/satellite channels, afterall, if you don't want to watch it, don't order those channels. The only issue I would have with adult content on network TV is that even if a responsible parent chooses to watch TV with their child and monitor what is on, kids can still get quite an earful and eyeful just in the process of flipping channels to get to Sesame Street. Otherwise, it's the parents' responsibility to monitor what their children do or don't do, so if they let them watch TV unsupervised and they flip to a channel with content too mature for them, well, that's nobody's fault but the parents'.

Everything on television nowadays sucks except PBS and the BBC.

All of the major television networks are taking the Fox approach and loading up all of their primetime lineup with junk and reality tv :grumpy:.

Kill Your Television!

I think that censoring is good to a certain degree. The airwaves are federally regulated and all of our taxes go toward that regulation. If some little old lady doesn't want to see Janet Jackson's teet, well she's paid her taxes and has every right to give input on what she thinks the regulators ought to be doing.

One form of media I think should NEVER be censored is radio.

I don't mean bleeping out words in songs, but I am talking about talk shows and such

All these parents whined and called for legislation to put V-chips in TVs.

Well, they got it. And now TV should go ahead and put whatever they want on TV, and if parents don't like it, too bad. Remove the channel from your TV.

This Janet Jackson nonsense really pissed me off.

Bunch of damn prigs in charge.

It's gone too far ---

But only because now there are like 600 channels and you still can't find anything to watch; reality tv has taken over the world, and Star Trek Enterprise was canceled.

star trak enterprise?! :yuck:

Discovery channel's cone WAY down

I would prefer it if they would censor stupidity, rather than nudity. Seriously, a lot of shows today on TV are stupid with a capital (c).

Well, it's a sticky issue isn't it? I mean, I don't like the idea of curtailing anyone's rights, but this is a case where the rights of different indiviuals conflict. I think that, if I toon into watch an NFL halftime show, I have a reasonable expectaion not to get flashed. If Janet wants to celebrate her own private Spring Break during that time well, maybe she got the right to. But don't force obscene exposure on me if I don't want to see it, because that violates MY rights. Of course, I'm talking about this as though the incident in question were deliberate. If it wasn't, then that's a different story (accidents happen, after all).

The V-Chip looks like a good solution, but it's not in place yet. I mean, I don't have one, do any of you? So until they are universal, TV needs to be censored at the source, because we can't censor it at our end. The ratings system is pretty good, and fills in for now, so you can tell what you're in for and avoid what you don't consider acceptable. Just wish it would display on the Channel Display continuously, rather than popping up onscreen and blocking the shot, then dissappearing so you don't see it if you tune in at the wrong time.

Once the V-Chip is more common, maybe then the standards can be relaxed a little. And don't think for one instant that the major network execs haven't thought of that! As soon as the people have a reliable means to censor for themselves, lobbying will begin to lighten or completely lift restrictions on content.

*Troy McClure Voice* "But now let's get to what we really all came here for; hardcore nudity!"

Berislav said:
I would prefer it if they would censor stupidity, rather than nudity. Seriously, a lot of shows today on TV are stupid with a capital (c).

I am So with you on that! Gallagher once said, "don't you wish they had a knob on the TV ta where you could turn up the intelligence? I mean, they got one marked 'brightness', but I tried that, an' it don't work!".

Berislav said:

I'm also more offended by the stupidity shown on TV today then by the nudity on prime time tv events... which oddly enough have half time shows that rank very high on the stupidity scale.

1. How is "too far" determined on TV?

The determination of what is considered "too far" on TV is subjective and varies depending on the individual or group setting the standard. It can be based on cultural norms, personal beliefs, or regulations set by governing bodies.

2. What are some examples of content that is considered "too far" on TV?

Examples of content that may be considered "too far" on TV include excessive violence, graphic sexual content, offensive language, and controversial or sensitive topics.

3. Are there any regulations or guidelines in place for determining what is "too far" on TV?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by governing bodies such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the United States. These regulations aim to limit the amount of explicit or offensive content allowed on TV during certain hours or on certain channels.

4. How does the concept of "too far" on TV differ between countries?

The concept of what is considered "too far" on TV can vary greatly between countries due to cultural and societal differences. For example, what may be acceptable on TV in one country may be considered offensive or inappropriate in another.

5. Can the concept of "too far" on TV change over time?

Yes, what is considered "too far" on TV can change over time as societal norms and values evolve. Content that was once considered acceptable may be seen as offensive or outdated in the future, leading to changes in regulations and guidelines.