How far up the incline will the block move before coming to rest?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
ohhi
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A block with mass m = 24.6 kg slides down an inclined plane of slope angle 38.4 o with a constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed 4.90 m/s. How far up the incline will the block move before coming to rest?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I honestly have little idea what to do on this problem. If someone could give me some leading questions or an applicable equation it'd be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why constant velocity?

Hi ohhi! (Or is it Yippee-i ohhi?)

At first I thought you'd got the question wrong, because how could it possibly slide down with a constant velocity?

Then I saw the light! Sometimes one has to be able to see the difference between a problem and a solution!

So: Hint: How can it slide down with a constant velocity? :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi ohhi! (Or is it Yippee-i ohhi?)

At first I thought you'd got the question wrong, because how could it possibly slide down with a constant velocity?

Then I saw the light! Sometimes one has to be able to see the difference between a problem and a solution!

So: Hint: How can it slide down with a constant velocity? :smile:

Yeah, I actually realized and got that. I just came back to say I found the answer. Thanks.