1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far will two people travel in a race?

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    John and Fred are racing. Fred, being faster, gives john a 20 s head start. John runs at 12 km/hr (10/3 m per second) and Fred at 16 km/hr (40/9 m per second)

How long after John starts will Fred catch him?

How far from the start do the two meet?

2. Relevant equations
    d = 1/2 (Vf + Vi) t

3. The attempt at a solution
    my list of givens:
    -Vi (10/3 for John, and 40/9 for Fred)
    -Vf = 0 (for both)
    d for Fred = d for John (displacements are equal)

what I do not know:
    -time taken
    -displacement

I know that I could use kinematic equations, but I don't really know which ones to use (except for the one I wrote here) so I tried to take a very basic algebra approach to it. I figured out how far John traveled in the 20 second head start that he got (200/3 m) and then I set it up in a "solve for x" style. so:
    10/3 x +200/3 = 40/9 x, and then I got that x (time) equals 60 seconds, and then added 20 seconds (john's head start) to get that the time at which their displacements are equal is 80 s. I then plugged it back into the original equation and figured out that the distance traveled was 266.7 m until Fred caught John.
    So first off, are those values correct? and secondly, how do I do that exact problem, but instead using kinematic equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2
    I don't think Vf=0 here but it looks like you didn't use the equation anyway.

Otherwise I think you got the right answer and you were using a kinematic equation whether you realized it or not.

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no acceleration involved in this problem so the kinematic equations essentially all simplify to velocity = distance / time which is what you used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted