How far will two people travel in a race?

In summary: However, to answer the question the direct kinematic equation to use would be d = Vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2 where a = 0 because there is no acceleration. So then you have d = Vi * t which is the same equation you used. So your solution is correct. In summary, John and Fred are racing with Fred giving John a 20 second head start. John runs at 12 km/hr and Fred at 16 km/hr. Using basic algebra, it can be determined that Fred will catch John after 80 seconds and they will meet at a distance of 266.7 meters. Using the kinematic equation, d = Vi * t, where a = 0, the
DeathEater

Homework Statement

John and Fred are racing. Fred, being faster, gives john a 20 s head start. John runs at 12 km/hr (10/3 m per second) and Fred at 16 km/hr (40/9 m per second)

How long after John starts will Fred catch him?

How far from the start do the two meet?

Homework Equations

d = 1/2 (Vf + Vi) t

The Attempt at a Solution

my list of givens:
-Vi (10/3 for John, and 40/9 for Fred)
-Vf = 0 (for both)
d for Fred = d for John (displacements are equal)

what I do not know:
-time taken
-displacement

I know that I could use kinematic equations, but I don't really know which ones to use (except for the one I wrote here) so I tried to take a very basic algebra approach to it. I figured out how far John traveled in the 20 second head start that he got (200/3 m) and then I set it up in a "solve for x" style. so:
10/3 x +200/3 = 40/9 x, and then I got that x (time) equals 60 seconds, and then added 20 seconds (john's head start) to get that the time at which their displacements are equal is 80 s. I then plugged it back into the original equation and figured out that the distance traveled was 266.7 m until Fred caught John.
So first off, are those values correct? and secondly, how do I do that exact problem, but instead using kinematic equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think Vf=0 here but it looks like you didn't use the equation anyway.

Otherwise I think you got the right answer and you were using a kinematic equation whether you realized it or not.

There is no acceleration involved in this problem so the kinematic equations essentially all simplify to velocity = distance / time which is what you used.

1. How is the distance traveled in a race determined?

The distance traveled in a race is typically determined by measuring the length of the race course, which is often marked with distance markers such as kilometers or miles. In some cases, the distance may also be determined by the amount of time the race is expected to take, such as in a timed race.

2. Do all races cover the same distance?

No, races can vary greatly in distance depending on the type of race and its location. For example, a marathon is typically 26.2 miles long, while a 5k race is 3.1 miles. In addition, races can also be measured in kilometers, such as a 10k race being 10 kilometers long.

3. How do factors such as terrain and weather impact the distance traveled in a race?

Factors such as terrain and weather can greatly impact the distance traveled in a race. For example, a race on hilly or uneven terrain may require more effort and therefore result in a slower pace and potentially a longer distance. Similarly, strong winds or extreme temperatures can also impact the distance traveled as they can affect the runners' speed and energy levels.

4. Can two people in a race travel different distances?

Yes, it is possible for two people in a race to travel different distances. This can occur if one runner takes a different route or has to stop for any reason, such as injury or fatigue. However, in a traditional race, all participants are expected to cover the same distance.

5. Is it possible for two people in a race to travel the exact same distance?

While it is possible for two people in a race to cover the exact same distance, it is highly unlikely. Even in a perfectly measured race course, small differences in stride length and running speed can result in slight variations in distance traveled. Additionally, factors such as lane assignments and starting positions can also impact the distance traveled by individual runners.