How far would you go to respect someone else's beliefs?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of respecting other people's beliefs even if they do not align with our own and the potential consequences of this belief. Two hypothetical situations were presented, one where a man died due to not receiving medical treatment because of his religious beliefs, and another where a woman died in childbirth because of her parents' religious beliefs. The conversation debated whether or not it is acceptable to let someone die in these situations, and whether it is considered assault to go against their wishes and seek medical treatment. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted the moral complexities of respecting others' beliefs and the potential consequences it can have.
I would respect their beliefs if they wanted to receive no assistance. I have no reason to do otherwise. It's their life, their choice.

Assisted suicide: As far as I am concerned, I'm all for it. If someone genuinly wants to die, then I really think that it is their choice. Unfortunately, our law doesn't (mostly because it can't) accommodate that situation, and so it is illegal. As such, I will not do it, because of the personal ramifications. If Law was not a factor though, I'd assist where it was wanted.

As for friends with stupid beliefs: If I had a close friend who believed in such a thing, then I would...um... make up my mind on the situation. In such instances, the actions you take have very little to do with what you believe and what they believe, and more to do with what you want, and how much you respect the wishes of your friend. If you couldn't bear to live without your friend, then chances are, you would act. If you could live without them, and you knew it was the very core of their being that they must not be assisted, then you will probably respect their wishes.

Most of these types of decisions rests on this sort of rational. "How will my actions affect the way I feel?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Unquestionably for somebody who is a legal adult, they have an undeniable right to refuse medical treatment for any reason. It is there body, if they want to allow nature to kill them without human interference they have that right. Although many of the arguments brought up against this particular religious belief make a whole lot more sense than the religious belief itself. That is not anybody's call but the person whose life is at sake

Now, the issue gets somewhat more complicated if it is a child whose life is at risk. Most children believe the same thing their parents do and most feel that if they die as a child of a preventable illness that it is god's will. Now, I believe in situations where the child seriously believes in refusing medical care, and is passed a certain age, (I would say that 18 is too late, basically, children can make up their minds before they are that old) then they should also be allowed to refuse medical care. But for those who are not old enough yet to make that choice, I think medical care should intervene, because the person whose life is at stake, has no standing on the issue.

The only thing I would hope is that those who have this belief also respect my believes enough that if I collapse someday in front of them, they will call an ambulance for me.