1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast is the rod moving after it has traveled 8.00 m down the rails?

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electromagnetic rail gun can fire a projectile using a magnetic field and an electric current. Consider two parallel conducting rails, separated by 0.530 m, which run north and south. A 49.0 g conducting rod is placed across the tracks and a battery is connected between the tracks, with its positive terminal connected to the east track. A magnetic field of magnitude 0.750 T is directed perpendicular to the plane of the rails and rod. A current of 2.00 A passes through the rod.
    If there is no friction between the rails and the rod, how fast is the rod moving after it has traveled 8.00 m down the rails?

2. Relevant equations

a=(IL(([mu0(I))/(2\pi*r)))/m
    v=sqrt{2ad}

3. The attempt at a solution

(2(.530)(4pi-7(2))/(2pi(.53))/.049 = 1.63e-5
    sqrt{2*1.63e-5*8}=.016

this answer is wrong. can you please tell me what i am doing wrong and help me out?Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Sweet, I don't recognize that formula! Can you derive it from basic formulas for us? I would expect you to use Fm = I*L*B in this problem - the formula for the magnetic field causing a force on a current.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    i got the answer, thanks for trying to help

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Sorry, I'm still not with you. I see you are using F = ma but why not
    F =ILB? Where does the mu and pi come from? I would begin with
    F = ma
    ILB = ma

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook