How gravity make planet to rotate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of gravity in causing celestial bodies to rotate. It is explained that gravity does not directly cause rotation, but rather, it is a result of the conservation of angular momentum during the formation of these bodies. The conversation also touches on the different spellings of the god Chronos and the concept of one identity per user.
freeman1879
how gravity make planet to rotate?

If you asked anybody why things rotate;they will answer you if you mean in astronomy the reson is gravity and if you mean at the level of atom the resone is electracal force but that is not what i want .
i want to know how gravity do this and what really it is ,and tha same in atome
we say that electron is negative and proton is positive(+ve)
but what is the meaning of those sines
please help me.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Gravity, as you mean it, doesn't make things rotate.

Gravity, as you mean it, doesn't make things rotate.

Well technically, didn't it? The cloud of dust started attracting one another due to gravity as it formed the Earth which caused the spin the Earth has today did it not?

I'll assume you meant orbit, or revolve, rather than rotate, freeman1879. The Earth rotates about its own axis once every sidereal day (about 4 minutes shy of 24 hours) and orbits, or revolves, around the Sun once every sidereal year (about 20 minutes longer than the basis of the calendar, the tropical year).

The Earth's orbital velocity around the Sun is about 30 kilometers per second. The velocity vector's direction is very close to perpendicular to the line between the Sun and the Earth. The acceleration of the Earth toward the Sun is about 5.9 millimeters per second squared. So, in one second the Earth has moved about 30 kilometers in a direction roughly perpendicular to the Sun-Earth line. That small acceleration means a tiny change in velocity of about 5.9 millimeters per second, directed normal to the velocity vector. This tiny change doesn't change the magnitude of the velocity vector; it instead makes it point in a slightly different direction. The next second, the Earth moves another 30 kilometers, but in a slightly different direction, and the velocity vector takes another very tiny turn. Do this 31+ million times (the number of seconds in a year), and the Earth will return to the same spot it started, always staying about 1 astronomical unit from the Sun.

DH Has well covered revolution, but on the off chance that you did mean rotate I'll provide a partial explanation:

The rotation of celestial bodies (Earth, sun, galaxy) is a result of the conservation of angular momentum. When a large cloud of gas, say, collapses, not all of the material falls directly into the middle of the cloud. In fact, most of the gas "misses" the center and enters into something of an orbit around the center. We can characterize these orbits with a certain amount of angular momentum which must be conserved. As a structure forms out of the gas (i.e the sun is formed), angular momentum is conserved and the resulting object (sun) is spinning (rotating).

Blenton said:
Well technically, didn't it? The cloud of dust started attracting one another due to gravity as it formed the Earth which caused the spin the Earth has today did it not?
To answer this one more directly: the fact that the cloud of dust had a net angular momentum means it was rotating. What gravity did by making it collapse was decrease the moment of inertia, which increases the rotation rate, while keeping the angular momentum the same. Like a spinning figure skater pulling her arms in.

When matter coallesces into a graviationally bound body, rotation is the remnant of any such object. In Newtonian physics its called conservation of angular momentum.

Gravity in fact, started planets, bringing new matter into the atmosphere of that matter.
And by rotate you mean orbit, am I right?

Chronos: You might want to stop consuming your offspring, it's disgusting! <:D.

1. Kronos
2. Khronos
3. Kronus
4. Cronos
5. Cronous
6. Chronus
7. Chronos

Spelled many ways. :P
Blame it on the Greeks!

No, i meant rotate. Gravity imparts rotation on matter as it collasces to form a planet [or star]. Rotation is the remnant of that action [conservation of angular momentum thing]. Physics 101. Chronos is my only moniker. Only one identity per user is permitted here. I do, however, plead guilty to inspiring imitators.

Last edited:

1. How does gravity affect the rotation of a planet?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. In the case of planets, the force of gravity between the planet and its surrounding objects, such as stars and other planets, causes the planet to rotate. This is because the force of gravity is not equal at all points on the planet's surface, causing a torque or rotational force that causes the planet to spin.

2. Does the size of a planet affect its rotation due to gravity?

Yes, the size of a planet does affect its rotation due to gravity. The larger the planet, the stronger the force of gravity and the faster the planet will rotate. This is why larger planets such as Jupiter and Saturn have shorter days compared to smaller planets like Earth and Mars.

3. Can gravity alone cause a planet to rotate?

Yes, gravity alone can cause a planet to rotate. This is because gravity is a fundamental force of the universe and is constantly acting on all objects, including planets. As long as there are no external forces acting on the planet, such as collisions or tidal forces, then gravity alone is enough to cause a planet to rotate.

4. Is the rotation of a planet affected by its distance from the sun?

Yes, the distance of a planet from the sun can affect its rotation. This is because the closer a planet is to the sun, the stronger the force of gravity will be between them, causing the planet to rotate faster. However, other factors such as the composition and shape of the planet can also play a role in its rotation.

5. Can the rotation of a planet change over time due to gravity?

Yes, the rotation of a planet can change over time due to gravity. This is because the force of gravity is constantly acting on the planet, and external forces such as collisions or tidal forces can also affect its rotation. Over long periods of time, these factors can cause a planet's rotation to speed up or slow down, or even change direction entirely.