How hard is it to pass the Masters general examinations?

In summary, there are different types of exams in graduate school, including class exams and comprehensive exams. Most schools give students two chances to pass the comprehensive exam, but if they fail both times, they are out of the program. Some schools allow students to retake only the parts they failed, while others require them to retake the entire exam. However, there is a 50% failure rate on the comprehensive exam, which can be concerning for students.
zheng89120
And what happens if one doesn't?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the exams in the classes? Those are typical class exams; if you fail them, you might fail the course, or get a low score in the course. Or do you mean the comprehensive (also called qualifying, quals, or comps) exam? That tends to cover all the material from graduate courses (and often some undergrad) and when you take it depends on the department (Berkeley astronomy has one you take when you come in, at most other schools it's after a year or two, UT Austin and Harvard astronomy don't have them at all), and most schools give you two chances to pass it. If you fail both, you're out of the program. Some let you retake only the parts you failed, but most make you retake the whole thing.

eri said:
Or do you mean the comprehensive (also called qualifying, quals, or comps) exam? ...Most schools give you two chances to pass it. If you fail both, you're out of the program. Some let you retake only the parts you failed, but most make you retake the whole thing.

^^Agreed.

Our school gives you two shots at the Comps. You MUST take the comps after your first year in grad school; if you fail, you must take it the following semester.

Sadly, it's been brought to my attention that fully HALF of the students taking the Comps in our program fail. And I know one person who failed twice, but he managed to convince the department to let him take the exams a third time; he finally passed on that third attempt.

It does worry me. I've been out of school for a few years now, and I'm not looking forward to taking a two-day exam that has a 50% success rate...

1. How difficult are the Masters general examinations?

The difficulty level of the Masters general examinations can vary depending on the individual's academic background, preparation, and the specific program or field of study. Generally, the exams are challenging and require a strong understanding of the subject matter.

2. Is it necessary to study extensively for the Masters general examinations?

Yes, it is essential to study extensively for the Masters general examinations. The exams cover a broad range of topics and require a deep understanding of the subject matter. It is recommended to start studying well in advance and to allocate enough time for preparation.

3. What is the passing rate for the Masters general examinations?

The passing rate for the Masters general examinations can vary depending on the program and university. However, on average, the passing rate is around 70-80%. It is crucial to note that the passing rate does not reflect the difficulty level of the exams but rather the overall performance of the students.

4. How can I best prepare for the Masters general examinations?

The best way to prepare for the Masters general examinations is to create a study schedule and stick to it. It is also helpful to review lecture notes, textbooks, and practice with past exam papers. Additionally, seeking guidance from professors or joining study groups can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any tips for successfully passing the Masters general examinations?

Apart from studying extensively, it is essential to manage time effectively during the exams. Make sure to read and understand the questions carefully, and plan your answers before writing them. Also, try to stay calm and focused during the exams to avoid making careless mistakes. Seeking help from professors or peers when needed can also improve your chances of success.