How have I managed to excel in physics despite health challenges?

• Thread starter TubbaBlubba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speaker has returned after a long time and is glad to be back. They mention struggling with their health but have still been able to excel in their studies. They also have ambitions to continue challenging themselves and are happy to be back on the forum.
TubbaBlubba
It's been a long time since I posted here. I've been a bit reluctant to return, maybe because I was a bit of a basketcase when I joined (well, maybe I still am! Better dressed now, however). Regardless, I've just completed my freshman physics year, so it seemed like I had to end up here sooner or later again!

I've finally gotten my act together somewhat, and it's all working out great. My health is poor (I suffer from Ehler's Danlos Syndrome, and the past few years I have had debilitating back pain and severe fatigue), and because of that I can't really attend any lectures. However, in spite of it all I've been able to pass every exam with top marks with fairly moderate effort, and I've taken projects, labs and such very seriously (writing excellent scientific reports is a skill I've tried to hone well).

Because of my health, I'm not sure what the future holds, but I really am planning on doing my best to excel, and I do a lot of complementary self-studies to keep my discipline up, and challenge myself a bit (Currently I'm working my way through Spivak's behemoth of "A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry").

Regardless, I'm glad to be back and I really hope to spend a lot of time here, reading and probably asking many, many questions!

Regards,
Leonard

Likes berkeman and Borek
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome back TubbaBlubba! Sorry to hear about your health, but how inspiring that you haven't given up. :oldsmile:

Likes TubbaBlubba
Nice to have you back here, and I find your attire quite appropriate :smile:.

I get the feeling that you have great inner strength and stamina. If you have ambitions to stretch beyond where you are now, stick around here!

Likes TubbaBlubba
Welcome back! :woot:

Likes TubbaBlubba

1. How have you managed to excel in physics despite health challenges?

I have always been passionate about physics and it has been my motivation to push through any health challenges that may arise. I also have a strong support system of friends, family, and professors who have helped me along the way.

2. What are some specific challenges you have faced and how did you overcome them?

I have faced various health challenges such as chronic pain, fatigue, and mobility issues. To overcome these challenges, I have developed a strict schedule that allows me to balance my coursework, rest, and self-care. I also utilize accommodations provided by my university to help me succeed academically.

3. How has your health impacted your approach to studying and learning in physics?

My health challenges have taught me the importance of time management and self-care. I have had to learn how to pace myself and take breaks when needed. It has also taught me to be more resourceful and find alternative ways of studying and learning, such as utilizing online resources and attending virtual lectures when I am unable to physically attend class.

4. What advice do you have for others facing similar challenges in their pursuit of physics?

My advice would be to never give up on your passion and to not be afraid to ask for help. Seek support from friends, family, and professors, and utilize the resources available to you. It is also important to prioritize your health and not push yourself beyond your limits.

5. How has your experience in physics been different from others due to your health challenges?

My experience in physics has been unique due to my health challenges, but it has also taught me resilience and determination. I have had to find alternative ways of learning and studying, which has allowed me to develop a deeper understanding of the subject. It has also given me a different perspective and appreciation for the field of physics.