How importent is Chemistry in physics?

In summary: Chemistry is the study of matter and its interactions with other substances. Physics is the study of the fundamental structure and behavior of matter and the forces that act between them. Therefore, physics would cover a much broader range of concepts than chemistry does, and would be more applicable in your future endeavors.In summary, I think that physics is more important than chemistry when it comes to careers in the scientific field. However, Chemistry is still important, as it keeps many doors open for you in the future.
Sebastian H
I'd like to study Physics after Gymnasium (equivalent High School).
How impotent is Chemistry in the different fields of physics? I still haven't decided which direction at all to do in physics, and I'm thinking what would be blocked by not doing Chemistry?

I have Chemistry right not, but I'm doing terribly in it, and really do no enjoy it. My main problem is nothing seems very Mathematical or Logical, and it's just a collection of small "thumb-rules" for a lot of different cases. (At least at the current level I have it.) There's tons of stuff you have to remember, but not very good explonations.

The time for choosing whether to upgrade Chemistry or just leave it behind is coming soon.
I'd really like to just drop it, and forget it, but If I need it later in studying physics, I can't do that. I don't want to close any/to many doors!
I think I'm very good in both mathematics and Physics.

Thank you all very much in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all :) Just as unimportant as physics is to math, with the difference that physics can derive chemistry.

I didn't have an obligatory course in chemistry at my university, but I think that some universities require their physics students to take at least one course in chemistry. You might want to check into that? But anyway, that doesn't seem like a big hurdle; such a course is often little more than a recap of high school chemistry.

Sebastian H said:
How impotent is Chemistry in the different fields of physics? I still haven't decided which direction at all to do in physics, and I'm thinking what would be blocked by not doing Chemistry?

I have Chemistry right not, but I'm doing terribly in it, and really do no enjoy it. My main problem is nothing seems very Mathematical or Logical, and it's just a collection of small "thumb-rules" for a lot of different cases. (At least at the current level I have it.) There's tons of stuff you have to remember, but not very good explonations.

The time for choosing whether to upgrade Chemistry or just leave it behind is coming soon.
I'd really like to just drop it, and forget it, but If I need it later in studying physics, I can't do that. I don't want to close any/to many doors!

Research in physics and chemistry heavily overlap in many areas e.g. nanotechnology. In fact, many universities offer degrees in "Chemical Physics".

Chemistry is an important subject, and it will keep doors open to you later down the line.

In the research laboratory in which I work, about 10% of the people are mathematicians, 10% physicists, 60% engineers (process, chemical, mechanical) and 20% chemists.

Everything overlaps. It's important that you get a broad education IMO. You never know where you might end up.

The mathematics required to understand most of physical chemistry is probably far too advanced for you right now. That's why you have so little math in chemistry at high school. But, isn't it the same in your physics class too?

Last edited:
Sebastian H said:

It depends. Probably you do not need chemistry --beyond a general course-- to work in HEP, but you need a lot of chemistry to understand the physical properties of materials.

There are also disciplines of chemistry that extend disciplines of physics. For instance, quantum chemistry adds chemical concepts and theories over a quantum mechanical base. Chemical thermodynamics extend thermodynamics to systems with variable chemical composition, reaction rate theory has applications beyond chemical reactions, many techniques of nuclear chemistry techniques are needed in nuclear physics, etcetera.

Regarding the reason for which you are given little math in your introductory course in chemistry is because the mathematics needed to understand, even simple chemical phenomena, are very complex.

Last edited:

I can tell you that chemistry is an essential component of physics and cannot be ignored if you want to pursue a career in this field. Chemistry and physics are closely related and often overlap in their concepts and principles. In fact, many of the fundamental laws and theories in physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism, have their roots in chemistry.

Furthermore, chemistry provides the foundation for understanding the properties and behavior of matter, which is a key aspect of physics. Without a strong understanding of chemistry, it will be difficult to fully comprehend the complexities of physics.

In terms of specific fields of physics, chemistry plays a crucial role in areas such as quantum mechanics, materials science, and nuclear physics. In these fields, a deep understanding of chemical reactions, atomic and molecular structures, and the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level is essential.

I understand your struggle with chemistry and the feeling of it being less mathematical and logical compared to physics. However, it is important to remember that both subjects require a different approach to learning and understanding. While physics relies heavily on mathematical principles, chemistry requires a strong grasp of concepts and their applications.

I would encourage you to not give up on chemistry and try to find ways to make it more enjoyable for you. Seek help from your teachers or peers, and try to relate the concepts to real-world applications. With a bit of effort and determination, you can improve your understanding of chemistry and see its importance in the bigger picture of physics.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I can say that chemistry is a crucial subject in the field of physics and cannot be ignored. It may seem challenging now, but with persistence and the right mindset, you can excel in both chemistry and physics. Keep an open mind and don't close any doors, as having a strong foundation in both subjects will open up many opportunities for you in the future. Best of luck in your studies!

1. How is chemistry related to physics?

Chemistry and physics are closely related fields of science. Chemistry deals with the composition, structure, and properties of matter, while physics studies the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. In order to understand the behavior of matter, it is important to have a strong understanding of both chemistry and physics.

2. Can physics be understood without a knowledge of chemistry?

While it is possible to have a basic understanding of physics without a knowledge of chemistry, a deeper understanding of physics concepts and principles often requires an understanding of chemistry. Many physical phenomena, such as the behavior of gases, the properties of materials, and the reactions between substances, can only be fully understood with a knowledge of chemistry.

3. How does chemistry contribute to advancements in physics?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in the advancement of physics. Many groundbreaking discoveries in physics, such as the discovery of new elements and the development of new materials, have been made possible through advancements in chemistry. Additionally, chemistry provides the necessary tools and techniques for conducting experiments and gathering data in physics research.

4. What are some examples of the overlap between chemistry and physics?

There are many areas where chemistry and physics overlap. For example, the study of thermodynamics, which deals with the transfer of heat and energy, is an important concept in both chemistry and physics. Other examples include quantum mechanics, which encompasses both fields, and the study of atomic and molecular structures, which is essential in both disciplines.

5. How does understanding chemistry help in understanding the physical world?

Chemistry is essential in understanding the physical world because it allows us to explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy. Many everyday phenomena, such as cooking, rusting, and combustion, can be better understood through a knowledge of chemistry. Additionally, understanding the chemical composition of substances is crucial in fields such as environmental science and engineering.