How inflation solves the horizon problem

In summary: On the other hand, if someone argues about something without providing a conclusion, then they're probably missing the point.In summary, Soph, your first document was good, but your second one was not as good. You should try to make your documents easier to read by including more diagrams and explanations. Thanks for taking the time to feedback!
Soph_the_Oaf
Hi Guys

I've just made a sheet illustrating the horizon problem and how it is solved by inflation.
I thought it might be handy for anyone interested in it, or having trouble with it. I'd also appreciate it if some of you could check it over and see if there's anything I have gotten wrong.

I did find a thread with a similar title, but it appeared to be talking about the Hubble length when i read into it, rather than the basics like this.

Any feedback would be great cheers

Soph

Attachments

• horizon problem jpg.jpg
    horizon problem jpg.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 597
Space news on Phys.org
Anyone? Just after an opinion as to whether people think what I've written is correct

Cheers
Soph

I can't read the thumbnail sheet. Tried to zoom into 200% using my browser (IE) but still unreadable.

Soph_the_Oaf said:
Ah sorry, so that's why no one replied! Will try again using the word document instead
Cheers :)

Soph

Soph, Sorry, but that Word document is NOT useful at all. It has no diagrams like your first try, and no explanations of how Inflation solves the Horizon Problem. (It doesn't even pass spellcheck.) Please click on it yourself and see. It's important to check these things yourself first, otherwise you can not expect any constructive criticisms or compliments.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Soph, I think your original write-up looks good and makes sense.

Bobbywhy said:
Soph, Sorry, but that Word document is NOT useful at all. It has no diagrams like your first try, and no explanations of how Inflation solves the Horizon Problem. (It doesn't even pass spellcheck.) Please click on it yourself and see. It's important to check these things yourself first, otherwise you can not expect any constructive criticisms or compliments.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Really sorry, i Got confused and uploaded the wrong document. This is the one I meant to upload

Soph

Attachments

• Horizon Problem.doc
    35 KB · Views: 312
bapowell said:
Soph, I think your original write-up looks good and makes sense.

Ah only just noticed your reply, so the original image worked, cool :)

Thanks for having a look and giving feedback :D

Soph

Be careful how you use the word "solved". You make it sound like inflation theory has been proven.

On the contrary, there are models of spacetime (re: emergent space) that do not require inflation to explain the horizon problem.

Good luck!

Its still kind of a solution though, just maybe not the right one. I'm sure that 'there's two possible solutions' could form part of a sentence and is correct English... that implies you can have 'a' solution which isn't the only solution. But yeah, i get what you're saying :D

Variable speed of light is another possibility!

Cheers :)

euquila said:
Be careful how you use the word "solved". You make it sound like inflation theory has been proven.

On the contrary, there are models of spacetime (re: emergent space) that do not require inflation to explain the horizon problem.

There's nothing wrong with using the word 'solved' here. The standard big bang model had a problem, inflation was put forward and shown to remove this problem, therefore that problem is solved.

There are other solutions, but inflation is now regarded as part of the standard cosmological model because none of the other solutions match observational data to a better extent.

cristo said:
There are other solutions, but inflation is now regarded as part of the standard cosmological model because none of the other solutions match observational data to a better extent.

It's always useful to come up with a list of alternative explanations and come up with the reason why they didn't work. The two that I know of off hand are slow growth models and variable light speed models.

One problem is that people argue about something, come up with a conclusion, forget why people came up with the conclusion, and argue about it again.

1. How does inflation solve the horizon problem?

Inflation solves the horizon problem by rapidly expanding the early universe, smoothing out any irregularities in the distribution of matter and radiation. This results in a more uniform universe, which can explain the observed isotropy of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. What is the horizon problem?

The horizon problem is a cosmological puzzle that arises from the observation that the universe appears to be uniform on large scales, despite the fact that different regions of the universe are not causally connected. This means that light from one region of the universe would not have had time to reach another region, yet they have similar temperatures and densities.

3. How does inflation work?

Inflation is a theory that proposes a period of rapid expansion in the early universe, driven by a scalar field known as the inflaton. This expansion smooths out any irregularities and creates a more uniform universe. After inflation ends, the universe continues to expand at a slower rate.

4. Can inflation explain other cosmological puzzles?

Yes, inflation can also explain other cosmological puzzles, such as the flatness problem and the monopole problem. The rapid expansion during inflation can explain the observed flatness of the universe and the absence of magnetic monopoles.

5. Is there any evidence for inflation?

While there is not yet direct evidence for inflation, it is supported by several lines of indirect evidence. These include the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the observed flatness of the universe, and the absence of magnetic monopoles. Ongoing research, such as the detection of gravitational waves from the early universe, may provide more direct evidence for inflation.