1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is longitudinal wave spread

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How is longitudinal wave spread?
    http://s11.postimg.org/pm7hxibo3/vala.png
    Here is how the transverse wave is spread in T/4, T/2, 3T/4, T (T- period)
    I need the same graph for the longitudinal wave.

2. Relevant equations
    X=c*T (c-velocity of moving of the wave)

3. The attempt at a solution
    https://www.google.al/search?q=long...KHW--DHkQ_AUIBygB&dpr=1#imgrc=NCmiLxCD1edSYM:
    In this picture it is shown a longitudinal wave. How can I show how it is spread in T/4, T/2, 3T/4, T? Where will the rarefaction and compression be in different times?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same graph, only arrows go left-right instead of up-down. See e.g. here

By the way, you call that 'propagating', not 'spreading'.

And yes, rarefaction (valley) will be T/2 after compression (peak), just like in a transverse wave + maximum and - minimum are T/2 apart in time.

Similarly, rarefaction (valley) will be ##\lambda##/2 behind compression (peak), just like in a transverse wave + maximum and - minimum are ##\lambda##/2 apart in distance.

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    http://s30.postimg.org/igw0ava9t/vala1.png
    I caught some moments from a video. Is each picture T/4, T/2, 3T/4, T? If no could you please draw it correctly? Thanks

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. Feb 17, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would you please first render the litteral problem statement ?
    And: what relevant equations do you have to represent graphically ? ## X = ct## is a straight line....

7. Feb 17, 2016 #6
    I haven't got any equation to represent. I just wrote it because it is necessary to writ an equation related, but it has nothing to do with the solution. I just want the longitudinal wave spreading graphic

8. Feb 17, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I find that drawing very hard to interpret.
    I suggest starting with the diagram you first linked, showing a spring with various sections of it under compression and tension. You could try adding arrows of different lengths and directions to that, illustrating which parts are moving forward fastest etc.
    To help construct that, you could make a second copy of the spring picture underneath and shifted a bit to the right, thereby showing where everything will be a a short time after the first picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted