1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longitudinal and Transverse waves transmitting at same Veloc

Tags:
  1. May 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A picture of the problem can be found here: https://gyazo.com/a92447dcfebed53d4cbd12fc94300d9c

2. Relevant equations
    So, I've already finished part A. For part B, I'm trying to figure out how to equate the two with mass on either side of the equation so that I can solve for it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Transverse wave speed = SQRT(tension/u), substitute (p*pi*d2 / 4)for mu since I don't have it -> V = SQRT(4T/p*pi*d2) where T is tension and p is rho.

Now I need to find a formula for speed of longitudinal wave that includes mass so that I can equate the two velocity formulas and solve for mass.

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2016 #2
    All you need to do is get the equation for the speed of a longitudinal wave in solids. I think this link may help :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted