How is our speed (~605km/s) derived from the CMB dipole anisotropy?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lenfromkits
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cmb Dipole Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
lenfromkits
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Hi. How does the number 605km/s come from the observed CMB wavelength of 1.9mm?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background_radiation)

Please only reply in 'English' and not a bunch of calculations because Google already provides lots of calculations. I am trying to get a general understanding in English.

Most importantly, I am trying to understand if any relativistic math is used to get the speed. Is the Lorentz factor (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) used in there anywhere? I have applied this formula to the speed of 605 in a project and arrived at a notable result but need to know if I have simply reversed a calc that was done by someone to arrive at the 605.

Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is derived from the CMB redshift taken in multiple direction. Subtracting the highest from lowest redshift gives a differential of about 600 kms.
 
Chronos said:
It is derived from the CMB redshift taken in multiple direction. Subtracting the highest from lowest redshift gives a differential of about 600 kms.

Thanks. How then is velocity derived from Red Shift exactly? Are certain speed associated with certain changes in frequency? Is it linear or does it follow the lorentz factor curve?
 
Code:
           E     h
            n   s
             g i
              l

Redshift = English 

             nE
            g
            l    
            i
             sh
I don't understand how the restriciton to English is supposed to make communication easier. However, the relationship is linear for low verlocities.