How is sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2)?

• Thread starter mr0no
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving two equations involving trigonometric functions. The first equation involves expanding sin(2x) into terms of sin(x) and cos(x) in order to prove that sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2). The second equation also uses the same rule to prove that (sin(x) cos(x/2^(n+1)))/(2^n(sinx/2^n)) = sinx/(2^(n+1)sin(x/(2^n+1))). The person responding to the conversation gives a hint to use the double angle identity to rewrite sin(x) in a different manner.
mr0no

Homework Statement

Prove sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2)
and
(sin(x) cos(x/2^(n+1)))/(2^n(sinx/2^n)) = sinx/(2^(n+1)sin(x/(2^n+1)))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mr0no said:

Homework Statement

and

Homework Equations

For the first, how do you expand [itex]\sin(2x)[/itex] into terms of sin(x) and cos(x)? Now apply that to the numerator sin(x).

For the second, again apply the same rule.

mr0no said:

Homework Statement

and

Homework Equations

Hello mr0no. Welcome to PF !

According to the rules for homework help in this Forum, you need to show your work before we can help.

Since you're new here, I'll give you a hint.

For the first one use the double angle identity to write sin(x) in a different manner, by looking at sin(x) as sin(2(x/2)) .

Thanks for giving me a tip instead of solving the whole thing for me. That's just what I need. I guess I will be revising trig identities tomorrow :)

Related to How is sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2)?

1. How does the identity sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2) work?

The identity sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2) is known as the double angle formula for cosine. It is derived from the identity sin2x = 2sin(x)cos(x) and can also be proven using the unit circle and trigonometric ratios.

2. Can you provide an example of how to use the identity sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2)?

For example, if we have the equation sin(60°)/(2sin(30°)) = cos(30°), we can simplify the left side using the double angle formula to get 1/2 = cos(30°). Using the unit circle or a calculator, we can see that this is indeed true.

3. How is this identity related to the half-angle formula?

The half-angle formula states that sin(x/2) = ±√[(1-cos(x))/2]. By substituting this into the double angle formula for cosine, we get sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2) as the ± sign cancels out.

4. What is the significance of the double angle formula for cosine?

The double angle formula for cosine is useful in simplifying trigonometric expressions and solving equations involving cosine. It can also be used in proving other trigonometric identities.

5. Are there any other identities that are related to sinx/(2sin(x/2)) = cos(x/2)?

Yes, there are several other related identities, such as the sum and difference formulas for cosine and the double angle formula for sine. These can all be derived from the double angle formula for cosine.