Linear Trig Equations: Solving sin(x + pi/4) = √2 cos x

• Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear Trig
In summary, the student is trying to solve for x using the sin(x+pi/4) = √2 cos x equation and is stuck. They try to simplify the equation but get nowhere. They eventually realize that x = pi/4 and are able to solve for x.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

Solve sin (x + pi/4) = √2 cos x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sinx*cos(pi/4) + cosx*sin(pi/4) = √2 cos x
√2/2 sinx + √2/2 cosx = √2 cos x
not sure if I am on the right track? or where would I go from here? would I bring √2 cos x to the left side?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

Solve sin (x + pi/4) = √2 cos x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sinx*cos(pi/4) + cosx*sin(pi/4) = √2 cos x
√2/2 sinx + √2/2 cosx = √2 cos x
not sure if I am on the right track? or where would I go from here? would I bring √2 cos x to the left side?
I would note that ##\frac {\sqrt 2} 2 = \frac 1 {\sqrt 2}## and multiply both sides by ##\sqrt 2##.

Likes Veronica_Oles
LCKurtz said:
I would note that ##\frac {\sqrt 2} 2 = \frac 1 {\sqrt 2}## and multiply both sides by ##\sqrt 2##.

Did that now I'm left with (sinx + cosx) = 2cosx, I'm stuck now? Tried bringing to other side and does not work and tried cancelling out the cosx but that does not work.

Veronica_Oles said:
Did that now I'm left with (sinx + cosx) = 2cosx, I'm stuck now? Tried bringing to other side and does not work and tried cancelling out the cosx but that does not work.
Show us what you get when you simplify it. Telling us it didn't work doesn't help us help you when we don't know what you did.

just use the identity
$$\sin\left(x+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=\sin\left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)+\sqrt{2}\cos(x)$$
or equivalently
$$\sin\left(x+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)-\sin\left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=\sqrt{2}\cos(x)$$

Likes Veronica_Oles
LCKurtz said:
Show us what you get when you simplify it. Telling us it didn't work doesn't help us help you when we don't know what you did.

Lol I got the answer.

(sinx + cosx)/cosx = (2cosx)/cosx

Now I am left with

(sinx/cosx) + 1 = 2

sinx/cosx = 2-1

tanx = 1

x = tan-1(1)

x = pi/4

or

x = pi + pi/4 = 5pi/4

Likes LLT71
How about angles coterminal with those?

What is a linear trig equation?

A linear trig equation is an equation that involves both trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and a linear variable (such as x or y).

How do you solve a linear trig equation?

To solve a linear trig equation, you need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation and the linear variable on the other side. Then, use the inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable.

What are the common methods used to solve linear trig equations?

The most common methods used to solve linear trig equations are substitution, factoring, and using trigonometric identities.

Are there any special cases to consider when solving linear trig equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving linear trig equations. These include equations with multiple angles, equations with restricted domains, and equations with complex numbers.

What are some real-life applications of solving linear trig equations?

Linear trig equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to model and solve problems involving angles, distances, and other geometric relationships.