Generel Solution of sinx+cos^2 x= 1

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution for the equation cos^2x+sinx=1 and the discrepancy with the textbook's answer. The participants suggest possible solutions and reasons why the textbook's answer may be incorrect. They also mention that n/a is used to represent undefined or impossible solutions.
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, I had this problem the other day, I had to find the generel solution of cos^2x+sinx=1 what I did was:
Sinx=1-cos^2x
Sinx=sin^2x
-sin^2x+sinx=0
(-Sinx-1)(sinx+0)=0
Sinx=0 or 1 so x=90+360n or x=0+360n but the textbook says "n/a and 90+360n" without showing any working out. Any help apreciated, apologies if this isn't the right thread but this isn't homework and there didn't seem to be a section for this under the homework anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
Textbook seems wrong what does n/a even mean? What is a?

x=90+360n or x=0+360n
are solutions but you missed some, can you think of the ones you mised?

n/a they use for undefined or impossible like 2^x=0 would be n/a and tan90 would be n/a. Off the top of my head no I can't think of any other ones.

maybe the textbook's answer is wrong. so far i get sin x = 1 which the other one is rejected. so x = 90. sometimes you shouldn't trust textbooks. they may have some typo error or something

Yeah, the textbook looks wrong.
##\cos^2(0) + \sin(0) = 1^2+0=1##
So the textbook shouldn't be discarding it.

EvilMarisa said:
maybe the textbook's answer is wrong. so far i get sin x = 1 which the other one is rejected. so x = 90. sometimes you shouldn't trust textbooks. they may have some typo error or something
why did you reject the other one?

You might want to plot it so you will know how many answers you are looking for.

This question belongs in the appropriate homework section. Usually, we would delete it and ask that the original poster start a new thread in the right section and using the homework template. In this case the discussion has brought out most of the points that the template would cover, so I'm moving it instead.

Superposed_Cat said:
n/a they use for undefined or impossible like 2^x=0 would be n/a and tan90 would be n/a. Off the top of my head no I can't think of any other ones.
You missed solutions for sin(x)=0. You found some, but not all.

1. What is the general solution for sinx+cos^2 x= 1?

The general solution for sinx+cos^2 x= 1 is x = 2nπ + π/2, where n is any integer.

2. How do you solve for x in sinx+cos^2 x= 1?

To solve for x in sinx+cos^2 x= 1, you can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to rewrite the equation as 2cos^2 x = 1, then take the square root of both sides and use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for x.

3. Can you explain the steps for finding the general solution of sinx+cos^2 x= 1?

First, use the Pythagorean identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to rewrite the equation as 2cos^2 x = 1. Then, take the square root of both sides to get cos x = ± 1/√2. Next, use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for x. Finally, add 2nπ to the solutions to account for all possible values of x.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in the general solution of sinx+cos^2 x= 1?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in the general solution of sinx+cos^2 x= 1. Since cos x = ± 1/√2, x must be in the first or fourth quadrant of the unit circle, where cos x is positive. This means that x must be between 0 and π/2 or between 3π/2 and 2π.

5. How can the general solution of sinx+cos^2 x= 1 be used in real-life situations?

The general solution of sinx+cos^2 x= 1 can be used in real-life situations to find the possible values of x in equations or problems involving trigonometric functions. It can also be used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving oscillatory motion or alternating currents.