1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How is TE selected as long or short?

1. Nov 11, 2017 #1
    Hi

Apparently a long TE gives a good T2 image yet how is TE length selected?

If I stand in a cave and shout I don’t control the time that the echo gets back to me, right?

Cheers

Ian

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:welcome:

If you want a good answer, you'll have to do much better writing the question. I don't know what you mean by TE and T2.

You select where in the cave you stand. But standing in one place, the time for the echo returns depends on the distance to the cave walls.

4. Nov 11, 2017 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

TE is selected by controlling when your gradients are refocused. You can control the gradients so you can control TE. If you move the refocusing time later then the TE will be later

It isn’t that kind of an echo.

5. Nov 11, 2017 #4

berkeman

6. Nov 11, 2017 #5

Dale

Hahaha. So the topic is magnetic resonance imaging. TE and TR are two numbers used to characterize image acquisition techniques and T1 and T2 are two numbers used to characterize tissues. The TE (echo time) alters the sensitivity to T2 (transverse relaxation) and the TR (repetition time) alters the sensitivity to T1 ( longitudinal relaxation).

7. Nov 11, 2017 #6

berkeman

Oh! I knew that of course...:sorry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted