How is the age of the universe calculated?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheSpecialist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
TheSpecialist
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

Could someone tell me the details on how to calculate the age of the universe?
I've read online that it is about 13 billion years old but I can't find anywhere that tells me how they got to this number without confusing the hell out of me. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi TheSpecialist, welcome to these Forums!
How do you find the age of the universe? Try here post #26, and here, post #66.

I hope these help.

Garth
 
Hi TheSpecialist, and also welcome. There are several different ways of estimating the age of the universe and all of them yield similar results:
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/age.html
WMAP has provided what is believed to be the most precise estimate to date - 13.7 billion years.