Do relativistic effects make the age of the universe moot?

In summary, time dilation effects the age of the universe by shortening the apparent age. However, the age is still determined by the observed cosmic microwave background temperature, which is independent of the observer's frame of reference.
Andy DS
How can we know the age of the universe, with time dilation due to the mass and velocity of matter which condensed after the big bang. If time passes at different speeds depending where it is perceived, does this not make the age of the universe somewhat moot.

Space news on Phys.org
The age usually quoted is the proper time since the singularity for a co-moving observer, one who sees the CMB as isotropic. This turns out to be the maximum time that can have been experienced by observers at a given event.

Likes Klystron
The age of the universe is generally given in comoving coordinates, involving cosmological time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_time

If you want to quote the age of the universe in the reference frame of, say, a particle being accelerated at CERN, then that gives a different, but not very useful, time.

Likes Vanadium 50
Because different observers perceive time passing at different rates does not make the question of how much time has passed moot. It just means that you have to specify some details about your observer. Typically one quotes this for a "co-moving observer" who is moving along with the expansion of the universe. Also, most of the matter in the universe is moving at relatively slow speeds and in regions of relatively low gravitational potentials so that these corrections are small. Your question is like saying, "Because clocks read different times in different cities on Earth, there is no way to know what time it is."

Likes Klystron, russ_watters and Ibix
phyzguy said:
Your question is like saying, "Because clocks read different times in different cities on Earth, there is no way to know what time it is."
I think that is very different, as those are just different offsets. We all agree about the passage of time.

We can't find The One True Age of The Universe, because there is no One True Age of The Universe.

So what?

We can still define useful quantities, like @Ibix did with the age of a comoving observer. Or we could point out that the difference between all the times one is likely to use is small. The difference between the Earth's frame and a comoving frame is about 30000 years over the lifetime of the universe. The uncertainty on the age of the universe is about 40 million years - a thousand times larger.

Likes AuntyMatter
"Your question is like saying, "Because clocks read different times in different cities on Earth, there is no way to know what time it is.""

No phyzguy, my queasion was more like because a clock on Earth and one near a black hole run at different rates, can this effect the answer.

Andy DS said:
"Your question is like saying, "Because clocks read different times in different cities on Earth, there is no way to know what time it is.""

No phyzguy, my queasion was more like because a clock on Earth and one near a black hole run at different rates, can this effect the answer.
Ok, but what's the problem? I don't see why this makes the question/answer moot.

Andy DS said:
But if we want to know the age of the universe, the observed passage of time near a black hole is irrelevant.

Andy DS said:
How can we know the age of the universe, with time dilation due to the mass and velocity of matter which condensed after the big bang. If time passes at different speeds depending where it is perceived, does this not make the age of the universe somewhat moot.
I thought I'd add my two cents to the pile.

Time dilation shortens the apparent age of the universe. That is, if you are moving quickly compared to the galaxies in our universe, observers in galaxies will see your clock ticking slowly. Which means that you will observe a shorter age.

And there is no bound to how short the observed age could possibly be. If you could travel at a high enough speed, you could in principle see less than a second pass since the big bang (this isn't a practical possibility because matter would slow you down through friction, but that's a different question).

But there is a limit to how long the observed time could be. And the maximum observed age is the age as observed by a somebody who sees the cosmic microwave background having the same average temperature in every direction. This is known as a "co-moving observer", as others have mentioned: they travel along with the expansion.

We aren't exactly co-moving observers, but we're close. From memory, our velocity with respect to the background is something like 600km/s. Which leads to a current time dilation factor of about 0.0002%. The actual time dilation from the big bang for the matter that makes us up wouldn't be exactly this (because it's moved around a bunch), but it'd be close. That error is much smaller than our current measurement error (around 0.2% or so, a hundred times greater), so it's generally ignored.

Likes PeroK and Ibix
kimbyd said:
the maximum observed age is the age as observed by a somebody who sees the cosmic microwave background having the same average temperature in every direction

And that maximum age is the age that is being referred to when the term "the age of the universe" is used.

Likes Ibix
phinds said:
But if we want to know the age of the universe, the observed passage of time near a black hole is irrelevant.
More precisely, when we talk about "the age of the universe" we've just chosen not to talk about the passage of time near a black hole, although that would be different.

For @Andy DS, an analogy is speeds. The speed limit on most roads around here is 30mph. But the Earth is doing about 20km/s around the Sun - how can we stay below 30mph when we're doing 20km/s just sitting here? The point, of course, is that by "30mph" we actually mean "30mph compared to the surface of the Earth where I am". Nobody bothers saying the bit in italics because people just understand it (possibly due to never questioning whether it could mean anything else, one suspects), but the qualification is important because it is also true that I'm currently doing 20km/s around the Sun, and many other speeds with respect to many other reference points.

That doesn't mean that it's impossible to define my speed. It just means that "my speed" needs a bit of qualification - my speed compared to what. Similarly with the age of the universe - strictly we should say "the age of the universe as measured by an observer who sees (and has always seen) the CMB as isotropic". But, like the ground frame in the speed limits, the isotropic-CMB observer is an obvious (obvious to cosmologists, anyway) type of observer to use to define age. Most people are either aware of which type of observer is being used in unqualified statements about the age, or aren't aware of or interested in the subtleties. Welcome to the first group. 😁

Likes PeroK
I see where all the replies are pointing and many thanks.
I was thinking that during cosmic inflation there may have had some relativistic effects but if we are saying this doesn't have an effect on what we know about the age of the universe because we are all riding along on the same wave I think I understand now.

Andy DS said:
all riding along on the same wave I think I understand now.
As long as you only mean the bit I've bolded figuratively, then yes. Inflation doesn't change co-moving observers into non-comoving ones or vice versa, would be a more precise way of putting it.

Andy DS said:
I see where all the replies are pointing and many thanks.
I was thinking that during cosmic inflation there may have had some relativistic effects but if we are saying this doesn't have an effect on what we know about the age of the universe because we are all riding along on the same wave I think I understand now.
Yup, that's correct!

1. What are relativistic effects?

Relativistic effects refer to the changes in physical measurements and observations that occur when objects are moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. These effects are described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How do relativistic effects affect the age of the universe?

Relativistic effects can cause time dilation, which means that time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds. This can affect the perceived age of the universe, as objects that are moving faster will appear younger than those that are stationary.

3. Why does the age of the universe become moot with relativistic effects?

The age of the universe is based on the measurement of time, but relativistic effects can distort our perception of time. This means that the age of the universe may not be a reliable measurement when considering objects that are moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

4. Can we accurately determine the age of the universe with relativistic effects taken into account?

It is difficult to accurately determine the age of the universe with relativistic effects, as these effects can vary depending on the speed and location of objects in the universe. However, scientists are constantly working to refine their measurements and calculations to account for these effects.

5. How do scientists account for relativistic effects when studying the age of the universe?

Scientists use sophisticated mathematical models and calculations to account for relativistic effects when studying the age of the universe. They also take into consideration the relative speeds and positions of objects in the universe to make more accurate measurements.