How is the Determinant of a Matrix Affected by Row Operations?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter epkid08
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Determinant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
epkid08
Messages
264
Reaction score
1
If I have a matrix [tex]A[/tex], and I use [tex]n[/tex] different row operations of this form: [tex]a_kR_i + R_j \rightarrow R_i[/tex] to construct a new matrix [tex]B[/tex], what is the determinant of [tex]A[/tex] in terms of [tex]B[/tex]?
Solved!

[tex]|A|=|B|\prod^n_{k=1}\frac{1}{a_k}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not entirely. Write B out in terms of the rows of A, then use the multilinearity of the determinant over the rows of the matrix.
 
[tex]B_i = a_kA_i + A_j[/tex]



I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
then use the multilinearity of the determinant over the rows of the matrix.
 
epkid08 said:
[tex]B_i = a_kA_i + A_j[/tex]



I'm not sure what you mean when you say:

If we write A as a list of rows: A1,...,Am, where the Ai is the ith row of the matrix A, we know that det(A1, ..., r*Ai+Aj, ..., Am) = r*det(A1, ..., Ai, ..., Am) + det(A1, ..., Aj, ..., Am) for all scalars r and each Ak. That is, the determinant is a linear operator with respect to each row; it is multilinear.
 
Wow, after a week of looking for it, I found what I was doing wrong, and it turns out it was just a stupid mistake.

The actual formula to the problem in my first post should be:

[tex]|A|=|B|\prod^n_{k=1}\frac{1}{a_k}[/tex]

I assume that's what you were trying to hint at slider142?
 
Yep. Each scalar can be pulled out as a factor due to linearity, while the second determinant in the sum vanishes, so you end up with the product of each scalar multiplied by the original determinant.