How is the frequency unchanged in elastic wave scattering with a crystal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between elastic and inelastic scattering processes in relation to light scattering on a crystal. With elastic scattering, the frequency of the outgoing wave remains unchanged due to interference from induced secondary light. Inelastic scattering, on the other hand, results in a change in frequency due to energy being imparted to the phonons in the crystal. The main factor for elastic scattering is not exciting internal degrees of freedom, such as phonon states.
Sophia111
it makes sense that with an inelastic scattering process, a wave approaches a crystal, and then some energy is imparted to the phonons, so that the outgoing wave has a different frequency from the incoming wave. However, with an elastic scattering process, the frequency is unchanged-- how does the crystal not affect the wave? What exactly is happening? I don't understand the precise steps of what is going on, that causes an elastic vs inelastic result. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Before trying scattering on a crystal, have you considered how light scattering on a single atom works with respect to elastic/inelastic scattering?

Thanks, Orodruin. I looked into it, and please tell me if I understand correctly: for elastic scattering, the light induces a dipole on the atom, which in turn radiates secondary light at the same frequency as the incident light. When the light is incident on a large molecule, there is induced secondary light from several parts of the molecule, and these interfere with each other, causing phase shifts, and constructive and destructive interference toward elastic behavior.
So, would I extend this picture to a crystal by saying that the incident light is inducing dipoles all over the crystal??
Thanks!

I would say the main point in order to have elastic scattering is to not excite internal degrees of freedom. In the case of the single atom, this would be corresponding to the atom entering an excited state. For the crystal case, exciting internal degrees of freedom is essentially exciting the phonon states.

If we are not exciting the phonons, then what steps are actually happening? Thanks!

1. How does a crystal affect the frequency of an elastic wave?

When an elastic wave encounters a crystal, the frequency remains unchanged. This is because the crystal lattice structure does not have any effect on the frequency of the wave. The crystal only affects the amplitude and direction of the wave.

2. Why is the frequency unchanged in elastic wave scattering with a crystal?

The frequency of an elastic wave remains unchanged because the crystal lattice structure does not have any natural frequency of oscillation that could alter the frequency of the wave passing through it. The crystal's atoms and molecules are too small and closely packed to have any significant effect on the frequency.

3. Can the frequency of an elastic wave be changed by a crystal?

No, the frequency of an elastic wave cannot be changed by a crystal. While the crystal can affect the amplitude and direction of the wave, it does not have the ability to alter the frequency.

4. Is the frequency unchanged in all types of elastic wave scattering with a crystal?

Yes, the frequency remains unchanged in all types of elastic wave scattering with a crystal. This is a fundamental principle that applies to all types of elastic waves, including sound waves, seismic waves, and electromagnetic waves.

5. How does the crystal lattice structure affect elastic wave scattering?

The crystal lattice structure affects elastic wave scattering by causing the wave to reflect, refract, and diffract as it passes through the crystal. The arrangement of atoms and molecules in the crystal can also affect the amplitude and direction of the wave, but it does not alter the frequency.