How Is the Hermitian Adjoint of a Covariant Differential Operator Calculated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter student111
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hermitian Operator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
student111
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Im am considering a covariant differential:

D_\mu H = ( partial_\mu + \frac{1}{2} i g \tau_j W_{j\mu} + ig B_\mu ) H

H is an isospiner, \tau_j are the pauli spin matrices, \partial_\mu is the four-gradient \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} and W_{j \mu} and B_\mu are gauge fields.

I want to calculate (D_\mu H) ^{\dagger} (D^\mu H) but keep getting the wrong answer. So I've begun to doubt wether i do (D_\mu H) ^{\dagger} correct. Is it:

(D_\mu H)) ^{\dagger}= \partial_\mu H^{\dagger} - \frac{1}{2}ig H^{\dagger} \tau_j W_{j \mu} - H^{\dagger} i g B_\mu ?

or will the first term be: H^{\dagger} \partial_\mu ?

Any help would be much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please use the [ tex ] ... [ / tex ] tags (without the spaces in the tags) for your equations. They are hard to read in plain text. I'll do this one for you:



Im am considering a covariant differential:

[tex] D_\mu H = ( \partial_\mu + \frac{1}{2} i g \tau_j W_{j\mu} + ig B_\mu ) H [/tex]

H is an isospiner, [itex]\tau_j[/tex] are the pauli spin matrices, [itex]\partial_\mu[/itex] is the four-gradient [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}[/itex] and [itex]W_{j \mu}[/itex] and [itex]B_\mu[/itex] are gauge fields.<br /> <br /> I want to calculate [itex](D_\mu H) ^{\dagger} (D^\mu H)[/itex] but keep getting the wrong answer. So I've begun to doubt wether i do [itex](D_\mu H) ^{\dagger}[/itex] correct. Is it:<br /> <br /> [tex] (D_\mu H) ^{\dagger}= \partial_\mu H^{\dagger} - \frac{1}{2}ig H^{\dagger} \tau_j W_{j \mu} - H^{\dagger} i g B_\mu ?[/tex]<br /> <br /> or will the first term be: [itex]H^{\dagger} \partial_\mu[/itex] ?<br /> <br /> Any help would be much appreciated![/itex]
[itex] What does it look like in the momentum basis? Whenever you have derivatives, you should ask yourself, "can I understand this better, or calculate this more easily, in the momentum basis?"[/itex]
 
Last edited: