How Is the Magnetic Field Calculated Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
SimonZ
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A straight wire carrying a current of 42 A lies along the axis of a 6.6 cm-diameter solenoid. The solenoid is 70 cm long and has 250 turns carrying a current of 6.0 A.
Estimate the magnitude of the magnetic field 4.2 cm from the wire.


Homework Equations


magnetic field due to a straight current I
B = mu_0*I/(2*pi*r)


The Attempt at a Solution


Note 4.2 cm > radius 3.3 cm, so the point is outside the solenoid, the magnetic field is only due to the straight current
use I = 42 A, r = 4.2 cm, get B = 0.20 mT
Anything wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SimonZ said:
Note 4.2 cm > radius 3.3 cm, so the point is outside the solenoid, the magnetic field is only due to the straight current
use I = 42 A, r = 4.2 cm, get B = 0.20 mT
Anything wrong?


SimonZ said:
The solenoid is 70 cm long and has 250 turns carrying a current of 6.0 A.

The solenoid carries a current, so it has a magnetic field. For a solenoid

[tex]B=\mu_0nI \ where \ n=\frac{No. \ of \ turns}{Length \ of \ solenoid}[/tex]


So you'd need to find the resultant mag. field of the solenoid and the straight conductor.
 
B = μo(N/l) * I = μonI
is only valid for magnetic field INSIDE the solenoid.
The field OUTSIDE the solenoid is zero.
So the field is only due to the straight current