How Is the Magnetic Field Calculated to Levitate a Wire Carrying Current?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



A straight piece of wire of mass 0.0050 kg and length 0.600 m lies horizontally and carries an electrical current of I = 0.800 A in the direction E to W . What is the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field required to produce an upward force on the wire that exactly cancels its weight?

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



The direction is South and the magnitude of the magnetic field is 0.102 T. How did they calculate this? What principles and formulas are required here? :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. Using this equation for force on a segment of current-carrying wire in a uniform magnetic fields F=ILxB, how would you relate this to the mass of the wire?
 
And how can I work out the inductance L? All the equations I know for L are for a solenoid...
 
You may have figured this already, but F = I (L x B) where F=ma & 'L' is length (not inductance)