How Is the Variance of a Quantity Derived in Statistical Mechanics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
darkchild
Messages
153
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



From Landau and Lifgarbagez:

[tex]\langle (\Delta f)^{2} \rangle = \overline{f^{2}} - (\overline{f})^{2}[/tex]

This isn't derived, just stated, and I'd like to understand how it comes about. f is a generic quantity "relating to a macroscopic body or to a part of it."

Homework Equations



[tex]\Delta f = f - \overline{f}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex](\Delta f)^{2} = (f-\overline{f})^{2} = f^{2} - 2f \overline{f} + \overline{f}^{2}[/tex]

Basically, I don't know how to do the averaging (not without explicit values of f, anyhow).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, I don't know how to do the averaging (not without explicit values of f, anyhow).
You put angle brackets around it or put a bar over it. ;)

Remember that [tex]\overline{f}[/tex] is a constant, and use the fact that

[tex]\langle \alpha f+\beta g\rangle = \alpha\langle f\rangle+\beta\langle g\rangle[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are constants.