Deriving <v> from <x> - Introductory Quantum Mechanics

In summary, Griffith finds ##\left\langle v \right\rangle## by taking the derivative with respect to time, and he writes that it is something that is fixed - each definite x position state has an associated x value, which is the value of x that this state represents. The changes in state are changes in \psi - but the correspondence between eigenvectors and eigenvalues remains fixed.
rem1618
(First post, hi everyone.)
I'm reading Griffith's textbook on intro to quantum mech right now. After establishing the following equation

$$\left\langle f(x) \right\rangle = \int f(x)p(x)\,dx$$

And thus

$$\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int x|\Psi|^2\,dx$$

He goes on to find ##\left\langle v \right\rangle## by taking the derivative with respect to time, and he writes

$$\frac{d\left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac{\delta}{\delta t}|\Phi|^2\,dx$$

which I don't completely understand. Why isn't the x inside the partial derivative? I'm not sure if it's a physical or mathematical concept I'm not grasping here.

I first thought x is the position, so it could be a function of time and written as x(t), but then I figure maybe x(t) doesn't really have any meaning from the statistical perspective. If it can be pulled out of that derivative, then it's just a...constant? Is there a physical meaning to that x or is it just an operator tool that makes the math work out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Each state of definite x has an associated value of x, which is the x position that the state represents. It is this value of x which appears in the integral to find the average (weighted mean) of the observable x. It's something that is fixed - each definite x position state has an associated x value, which is the value of x that this state represents. The changes in state are changes in [itex]\psi[/itex] - but the correspondence between eigenvectors and eigenvalues remains fixed.

Here are some examples

[itex]\mid x_1\rangle[/itex] represents the state of being at [itex]x_1[/itex]. Suppose our wave function is 100% at [itex]x_1[/itex]. Then [itex]\mid \psi \rangle = \mid x_1 \rangle[/itex]

[tex]\langle \hat{x}\rangle =x_1 \langle x_1 \mid x_1 \rangle = x_1[/tex]

if instead we had [itex]\mid \psi \rangle = a_1(t)\mid x_1 \rangle + a_2(t)\mid x_2 \rangle[/itex]

[tex]\langle \hat{x}\rangle = x_1|a_1(t)|^2 + x_2|a_2(t)|^2 [/tex]

So we have a weighted average of positions [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. I wouldn't make sense to have [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] change with time.

The integral [itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int x|\Psi(x)|^2\,dx[/itex] is like this only instead of two positions there are infinitely many.

The eigenvalue (which is the value of position) [itex]x_1[/itex] will always correspond to the state [itex]\mid x_1 \rangle [/itex]. Hopefully this will make sense and be intuitive.

Last edited:
That helped a lot. Thank you :]

1. What is the purpose of deriving from in introductory quantum mechanics?

The purpose of deriving from in introductory quantum mechanics is to understand the relationship between position and velocity in quantum systems. This is important because classical mechanics, which governs the behavior of larger objects, does not accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is related to in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, and are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know its velocity, and vice versa. This means that and are complementary variables that cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy.

3. Can be derived from using classical mechanics?

No, cannot be derived from using classical mechanics. Classical mechanics cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, so it cannot be used to derive from in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the mathematical equation for deriving from in introductory quantum mechanics?

The mathematical equation for deriving from in introductory quantum mechanics is the commutation relation [x,v] = iħ, where x represents position, v represents velocity, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between and in quantum mechanics?

It is important to understand the relationship between and in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This understanding is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which has a wide range of applications in fields such as technology, medicine, and materials science.