1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving <v> from <x> - Introductory Quantum Mechanics

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    (First post, hi everyone.)
    I'm reading Griffith's textbook on intro to quantum mech right now. After establishing the following equation

$$\left\langle f(x) \right\rangle = \int f(x)p(x)\,dx$$

And thus

$$\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int x|\Psi|^2\,dx$$

He goes on to find ##\left\langle v \right\rangle## by taking the derivative with respect to time, and he writes

$$\frac{d\left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac{\delta}{\delta t}|\Phi|^2\,dx$$

which I don't completely understand. Why isn't the x inside the partial derivative? I'm not sure if it's a physical or mathematical concept I'm not grasping here.

I first thought x is the position, so it could be a function of time and written as x(t), but then I figure maybe x(t) doesn't really have any meaning from the statistical perspective. If it can be pulled out of that derivative, then it's just a...constant? Is there a physical meaning to that x or is it just an operator tool that makes the math work out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    Each state of definite x has an associated value of x, which is the x position that the state represents. It is this value of x which appears in the integral to find the average (weighted mean) of the observable x. It's something that is fixed - each definite x position state has an associated x value, which is the value of x that this state represents. The changes in state are changes in [itex]\psi[/itex] - but the correspondence between eigenvectors and eigenvalues remains fixed.

Here are some examples

[itex]\mid x_1\rangle[/itex] represents the state of being at [itex]x_1[/itex]. Suppose our wave function is 100% at [itex]x_1[/itex]. Then [itex]\mid \psi \rangle = \mid x_1 \rangle[/itex]

[tex]\langle \hat{x}\rangle =x_1 \langle x_1 \mid x_1 \rangle = x_1[/tex]

if instead we had [itex]\mid \psi \rangle = a_1(t)\mid x_1 \rangle + a_2(t)\mid x_2 \rangle[/itex]

[tex]\langle \hat{x}\rangle = x_1|a_1(t)|^2 + x_2|a_2(t)|^2 [/tex]

So we have a weighted average of positions [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. I wouldn't make sense to have [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] change with time.

The integral [itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int x|\Psi(x)|^2\,dx[/itex] is like this only instead of two positions there are infinitely many.

The eigenvalue (which is the value of position) [itex]x_1[/itex] will always correspond to the state [itex]\mid x_1 \rangle [/itex]. Hopefully this will make sense and be intuitive.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    That helped a lot. Thank you :]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted